Left Menu
Development News Edition

UPDATE 3-Suspect in custody in shooting of ex-Red Sox slugger David Ortiz-police

Reuters | Updated: 10-06-2019 21:24 IST | Created: 10-06-2019 21:18 IST
UPDATE 3-Suspect in custody in shooting of ex-Red Sox slugger David Ortiz-police
Image Credit: Flickr

Santo Domingo police on Monday were investigating why one of two men on a motorcycle shot and wounded former Red Sox slugger David "Big Papi" Ortiz as he sat in a nightclub late Sunday, according to police and the team.

Ortiz, a 43-year-old retired player still beloved in Boston for his role on three World Series-winning teams, was recovering in a hospital on Monday from a bullet wound to his back, the team said. A second person, his friend television host Jhoel López, was also wounded in the incident, police said in a statement. The pair of alleged assailants drove up to the club late Sunday and one opened fire, sparking a panic in which diners fled their tables, according to police and video of the incident posted by local media. The crowd at the club then beat one of the suspects, who police took into custody and identified as Eddy Vladimir Féliz García.

Police are still searching for the other suspect who fled on foot. Féliz García had been arrested in 2017 on drug possession charges, police said. They said they had seized the motorcycle used in the attack. El Nuevo Diario published what it said was security camera footage of the moment the shooting occurred, which showed seated patrons at the bar suddenly fleeing, leaving toppled chairs behind them.

The baseball star was out of surgery and in a stable condition and expected to make a full recovery, his father, Leo Ortiz, told reporters in Santo Domingo, according to CBS. "Big Papi will be around for a long time," he told reporters.

The Red Sox said they were in contact with the family. Ortiz started his career in 1997 with the Minnesota Twins and played for the Red Sox for 14 seasons before retiring in 2016, according to Major League Baseball's website.

Boston Mayor Marty Walsh and Ortiz's fellow baseball stars were among those expressing sympathy for Ortiz and his family. Ortiz was famously protective of Boston during his time with the Red Sox and won international attention for a defiant speech days after the 2013 Boston Marathon bombing in which he blurted out "this is our fucking city" on national television.

His former teammate Pedro Martinez called Ortiz a "strong man." "I'm at peace knowing you out of danger," he wrote on Twitter. Former New York Yankees star Alex Rodriguez sent his prayers in a Twitter message. "Anxiously waiting for more news," he wrote.


TRENDING

OPINION / BLOG / INTERVIEW

Why COVID-19 is unstoppable in USA despite it being ranked at the top of GHS Index?

Several worst-hit countries such as Italy, France, Spain, the UK, Canada, and Russia have peaked COVID-19 cases in April. Almost all of them have gradually flattened the curve. However, the USA is setting new daily records of infections tha...

COVID-19 seems cooking biggest ever global scam

The increasing number of corruption cases on COVID-19 funds from throughout the world and involvement of high profile persons indicate that the countries cant ignore corruption in their pandemic response programs. This has generated the nee...

Health Management Information Systems lack holistic, integrated, and pandemic resilient character

Being a part of the United Nations system, the World Health Organization WHO deserves its share of rebuke for its alleged failure issue COVID-19 health emergency alerts on appropriate time. However, the pandemic has also exposed loopholes i...

Pride in the time of coronavirus: a welcome move online?

This year is different in many ways not least as celebrations are also taking place against the dramatic backdrop of a global health crisis and a resurgence in grassroots activism following the death of George Floyd in Minneapolis. ...

Videos

Latest News

In surprise move, Trump administration reverses course on barring many foreign students

In a stunning reversal of policy, the Trump administration on Tuesday abandoned a plan that would have forced out tens of thousands of foreign students following widespread condemnation of the move and pressure from colleges and major busin...

Moderna Phase 1 results show coronavirus vaccine safe, induces immune response

Moderna Incs experimental vaccine for COVID-19 showed it was safe and provoked immune responses in all 45 healthy volunteers in an ongoing early-stage study, U.S. researchers reported on Tuesday.No study volunteers experienced a serious sid...

Fauci says decision on school openings should be left to local officials

Top infectious disease expert Anthony Fauci on Tuesday said decisions on whether to open schools in U.S. regions hit hard by the fast-spreading coronavirus outbreak should be left to local officials. We should try, as the default, to get th...

Canada tweaks rules to help foreign students enroll amid COVID-19 restrictions

Canada on Tuesday said it would make it easier for foreign students to study online from abroad and to qualify for a work permit after graduation amid strict border closures to curb the spread of COVID-19.The changes come after Canada rampe...

Give Feedback