Global Energy Prize laureates' technological innovations on Clean Energy alongside WEC
The Global Energy Prize laureates' innovations for increased energy efficiency and use of renewable energy and clean technologies for traditional energy processing innovations would be an added advantage for participants of 24th World Energy Congress in Abu Dhabi.The 24th World Energy Congress Preview | Abu Dhabi | Updated: 19-08-2019 16:10 IST | Created: 15-08-2019 22:49 IST
As the hydrocarbon-based energy sources like wood, coal and petroleum have caused and are still causing much harm to the environment leading to global warming and climate change, the quest for clean, zero carbon, sustainable energy and affordable energy have become a global phenomenon. The Global Energy Prize laureates' innovations are expected as a drive to make the mission - Clean and Affordable Energy - possible that has been adopted as Global Goal 7 by the United Nation as one of 17 Sustainable Development Gols for the world by the year 2030.
Energy is central to nearly every major challenge and opportunity the world is facing today. The quest for affordable, reliable and modern energy is universal. Ensuring such energy for all is the key task in the era of the global transition to the new technological cycle, and is inseparably connected with improving the quality of life for everyone on the planet. Therefore, what are those factors enabling our sustainable future? What, if not science, is to make this future a reality?
Running alongside the 24th World Energy Congress as a side-event, this high-level session will:
- Outline energy solutions working towards achieving sustainable reality
- Consider the best Global Energy Prize laureates' innovations for increased energy efficiency and use of renewable energy and clean technologies for traditional energy processing
- Present examples of global energy cooperation that create inclusive communities and resilience to environmental issues like climate change
List of session speakers
- Sergey Alekseenko, 2018 Global Energy
- Prize laureate; Head of Heat and Mass Transfer Laboratory, Institute of Thermophysics, RAS Siberian Branch.
- Rodney John Allam, 2012 Global Energy Prize laureate; Partner of 8 Rivers Capital, LLC; Member of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 2007.
- Adnan Amin, Global Energy Prize International Award Committee member; Director-General Emeritus of the International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA).
- Marta Szigeti Bonifert, Global Energy Prize International Award Committee member; Hungarian Business Leaders Forum (HBLF), Board Member, Environment and Sustainability WS Leader.
- Rae Kwon Chung, Global Energy Prize International Award Committee Chairman; UN Secretary-General's High-level Expert and Leaders Panel (HELP) on water and disasters, Adviser to the Chair; Member of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 2007.
- Steven Griffiths, Global Energy Prize International Award Committee member; Senior Vice President for Research and Development, Khalifa University of Science and Technology (KUST).
- Xiansheng Sun, Global Energy Prize International Award Committee member, Secretary-General of the International Energy Forum.
The Global Energy Prize is an international award for outstanding scientific research and technological development in energy. Since 2003, the Global Energy Prize has been awarded to 39 Laureates from 13 countries: Australia, Austria, Canada, Denmark, France, Iceland, Japan, Russia, Sweden, Switzerland, Ukraine, the UK and the US. According to the IREG Observatory on Academic Ranking and Excellence, the Global Energy Prize is one of the TOP-99 international academic awards with the highest prestige and significance. In the prestige rating of the International Congress of Distinguished Awards (ICDA) the Global Energy Prize is in the category of "Mega Prizes" for its laudable goals, exemplary practices and the overall prize fund.
(With inputs from Natalia Naumova, Vice President for External Communications of the Global Energy Association)
For more news, views and interviews please visit LIVE DISCOURSE
DISCLAIMER: Except for the headline and minor editing, this write-up has been published from 'The 24th World Energy Congress Preview'. Devdiscourse is Media Partner of World Road Congress 2019 being organized in Abu Dhabi on 9-12 September 2019.