In Japan hospital for 8 months, Gujarat man brought back home

PTI | Ahmedabad | Updated: 08-06-2021 22:19 IST | Created: 08-06-2021 22:19 IST
In Japan hospital for 8 months, Gujarat man brought back home
  • Country:
  • India

A man from Gujarat, who was in a Japanese hospital for TB and stroke treatment for eight months, was brought to Ahmedabad via Delhi in an air ambulance after his family raised over Rs 40 lakh from donors online to facilitate his journey back home, his family members said on Tuesday.

Jayesh Patel (33), a resident of Bhesana in Mehsana district, was in Japan's Ota city on a work permit when he contracted tuberculosis (TB) in October last year and later suffered a stroke (caused due to poor blood flow to the brain), his friends and family members said.

He was admitted to a hospital in Shibukawa and undergoing treatment for the last eight months, they said.

Jayesh Patel was residing in Japan alone as his wife, who had gone with him to work there, returned home for the birth of their child, they said.

When his father visited his hospitalisedson, all he wanted was to bring him back to India for treatment but could not afford the cost for the same, Jayesh Patel's friend Mukund Patel said.

''His family and local friends made an appeal on social media to raise Rs 1.25 crore required to bring him back by an air ambulance and get him treated here.

''They ran campaigns on various social media platforms, created a page 'I support Jayesh Patel' on Facebook, and received overwhelming response from the public,'' Mukund Patel said.

''As per conditions put by the hospital in Japan, a team of doctors from India was required to go there to accompany him in the ambulance.

''A team of doctors from Ahmedabad went to Japan and under their observation Jayesh Patel was brought to Delhi in an Air India ambulance on Monday.

''From there, he was flown to Ahmedabad where he was admitted in a private hospital for treatment,'' said Mukund Patel.

Mukund Patel said Jayesh Patel's family was overwhelmed by the support they received from common citizens, who donated generously.

''People responded overwhelmingly to the plea for financial help made by the family members of Jayesh Patel.

Financial aid from donors helped them bring him back,'' he said.

Jayesh Patel's younger brother Hardik Patel said they managed to raise Rs 41 lakh.

''My brother and sister-in-law went to Japan in 2018 on work permits. While my sister-in-law returned, my brother was planning to come home in December last year.

''Unfortunately, on October 5, he was detected with TB and admitted in a hospital there. On January 6 this year, he suffered a brain stroke and his condition deteriorated,'' said Hardik Patel.

Hardik Patel said his family members sought help from the authorities to bring his brother back to Gujarat.

''We felt he was not getting proper treatment there so we wrote to the Indian embassy in Japan and also to the Prime Minister's Office for help in bringing him back to India.

''We then decided to raise Rs 1.25 crore from donors to hire an air ambulance and meet other costs. We raised Rs 41 lakh in donations from a large number of people who responded to our appeal,'' Hardik Patel said.

Jayesh Patel was brought to Gujarat after getting necessary permission and medical clearances from Indian and Japanese governments, he said.

(This story has not been edited by Devdiscourse staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

Give Feedback