US considers withdrawal of U.S. forces from Syria
The United States is considering a total withdrawal of U.S. forces from Syria as it nears the end of its campaign to retake all of the territory once held by Islamic State, U.S. officials told Reuters on Wednesday.
The decision, if confirmed, would upend assumptions about a longer-term U.S. military presence in Syria, which U.S. Defense Secretary Jim Mattis and other senior U.S. officials had advocated to help ensure Islamic State cannot reemerge.
(With inputs from agencies.)
- US's full withdrawal from INF Treaty would not herald start of new Cold War- RIA
- French minister rules out going back on Brexit withdrawal agreement
- Brexit withdrawal agreement cannot be reopened -Barnier
- US withdrawal from Syria will pose enduring threat from IS: Top general
- UPDATE 1-US general warns of post-withdrawal threat in Syria from Islamic State