MP HC quashes PIL against loan waiver; calls it as 'publicity manoeuvre'
A division bench of Chief Justice S K Seth and Justice V K Shukla dismissed the PIL filed by lawyer Mohit Kumar due to lack of merit, calling it a "publicity manoeuvre". "The petitioner could not satisfy us regarding the breach of any fundamental or legal rights (because of the loan waiver)," the bench said.
On December 17, the newly-elected Congress government had issued an order to waive short-term farm loans up to Rs 2 lakh. The petition claimed that loan waivers might ruin the national economy. The court in its order noted that when the petitioner was asked whether he had studied economics, he evaded the question.
(With inputs from agencies.)
- UPDATE 4-Trump steps up attacks on Pelosi for opposing border wall funds
- UPDATE 3-Trump steps up attacks on Pelosi for opposing border wall funds
- Over 30 million screened at DRC’s borders, vaccinations begin in neighbouring
- Last game was an aberration, have faith in middle-order: Bangar
- Government to use technology to seal Bangladesh borders along Bengal and Assam