Reuters World News Summary
Demonstrations by unions, miners, transport workers and rural groups have grown in recent weeks, pressing centrist President Rodrigo Paz to roll back austerity measures and address rising living costs. US voices alarm over Bolivia unrest as protests spread nationwide U.S. Deputy Secretary of State Christopher Landau said on Tuesday he spoke with Bolivian President Rodrigo Paz and was very concerned about escalating unrest in the South American country, where nationwide protests over austerity measures have sparked instability.
Following is a summary of current world news briefs.
Slain security guard of California mosque engaged gunmen in shootout, hailed as hero
The security guard slain at the Islamic Center of San Diego was hailed on Tuesday as a fallen hero who sacrificed his life to keep 140 school children inside the mosque safe by engaging two gunmen in a shootout that deterred the teenage suspects and helped thwart their attack. Authorities also disclosed that the 17- and 18-year-old assailants, who took their own lives shortly after Monday's shooting, were believed to have met online and apparently were "radicalized" in hate-related ideology on the internet.
Exclusive-US plans to shrink forces available to NATO during crises, sources say
The Trump administration is planning to tell NATO allies this week that it will shrink the pool of military capabilities that the U.S. would have available to assist the alliance's European nations in a major crisis, three sources familiar with the matter said. Under a framework known as the NATO Force Model, the alliance's member countries identify a pool of available forces that could be activated during a conflict or any other major crisis, such as a military attack on a NATO member.
G7 finance ministers urge action on economic imbalances, some point to China
G7 finance ministers agreed on Tuesday on the need for action to tackle trade imbalances in a fragmented global economy, saying the current situation was unsustainable with U.S. Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent arguing for more protections against a flood of cheap Chinese imports. The finance ministers and G7 central bank governors met in Paris for a second day to discuss the economic fallout from the Iran war and volatility on global bond markets but were light on concrete measures.
US probe into strike on Iran girls' school near conclusion, US admiral says
A U.S. military investigation into a strike at a girls' school in Iran has been "complex" given that it was located on an active Iranian cruise missile base but the probe is approaching its conclusion, a U.S. military commander said on Tuesday. Reuters first reported that an initial, internal U.S. military investigation showed U.S. forces were likely responsible for the fatal strike in Minab. The Pentagon has since elevated the probe but it has not acknowledged any preliminary findings.
Trump says US may strike Iran again but that Tehran wants deal
President Donald Trump said on Tuesday that the United States may need to strike Iran again and that he had been an hour away from ordering an attack before postponing it. Trump made the comments a day after saying he had paused a planned resumption of hostilities following a new proposal by Tehran to end the U.S.-Israeli war.
British deputy ambassador in Washington has left post, UK foreign office says
James Roscoe, the deputy head of mission at the British embassy in Washington, has left his post, Britain's foreign office said early on Wednesday.
DOJ to make announcement on Wednesday related to 1996 Cuba incident
The U.S. Justice Department said it will make an announcement in Miami, Florida, on Wednesday in conjunction with a ceremony to honor the victims of a 1996 incident in which Cuban military jets killed four people. The Trump administration plans to announce criminal charges against former Cuban president Raul Castro on Wednesday, according to a U.S. Justice Department official, in a move that would mark a step-up in Washington's pressure campaign against the Caribbean island's communist government.
Banks close branches in tense Bolivia, diplomats call for calm
Banks temporarily closed branches in Bolivia's capital La Paz on Tuesday as escalating anti-government unrest sounded alarms and foreign diplomats called for calm. Demonstrations by unions, miners, transport workers and rural groups have grown in recent weeks, pressing centrist President Rodrigo Paz to roll back austerity measures and address rising living costs.
US voices alarm over Bolivia unrest as protests spread nationwide
U.S. Deputy Secretary of State Christopher Landau said on Tuesday he spoke with Bolivian President Rodrigo Paz and was very concerned about escalating unrest in the South American country, where nationwide protests over austerity measures have sparked instability. Demonstrations that began with strikes in early May have grown into a nationwide movement involving labor unions, miners, transport workers and rural groups. Protesters are pressing Paz’s government to roll back the austerity measures and address rising living costs, with some calling for his resignation.
Senator Bolsonaro says he met with disgraced Brazilian banker after arrest
Brazilian Senator Flavio Bolsonaro acknowledged on Tuesday that he met in person with banker Daniel Vorcaro after the owner of failed lender Banco Master was arrested last year and released with an ankle monitor. Bolsonaro has faced scrutiny since news website The Intercept Brasil last week reported his ties to the banker, who was jailed for a second time in March, accused of bribing a former central bank director. Master was liquidated in November amid investigations into fraudulent loan portfolios.
Vance says US troop deployment to Poland has been delayed
Vice President JD Vance on Tuesday told reporters a U.S. troop deployment to Poland had been delayed, but added it was not accurate to say the troops were being withdrawn from Europe.
Reports about the possible cancellation of the deployment of 4,000 troops to Poland have drawn sharp criticism from U.S. lawmakers concerned about the potential for U.S. President Donald Trump to abandon European allies.
Nigeria says joint US strikes kill 175 Islamic State militants, senior leaders
Nigerian forces, working with the United States, have killed 175 Islamic State militants in a series of joint air and ground strikes in the country's northeast in recent days, the Defence Headquarters said on Tuesday. The military said operations conducted with U.S. Africa Command destroyed checkpoints, weapons caches, logistics hubs, and financing networks used by Islamic State West Africa Province, which has led a years-long insurgency in the region.
US Senate advances measure curbing Trump's Iran war powers
The U.S. Senate advanced a war-powers resolution on Tuesday that would end the Iran war unless President Donald Trump obtains Congress' authorization, a rare rebuke of the Republican leader 80 days after U.S. and Israeli forces began striking Iran. The vote on a procedural measure to advance the resolution was 50 to 47, as four of Trump's fellow Republicans voted with every Democrat but one in favor. Three Republicans missed the vote.
NATO expects US troop cuts from Europe to take years
The U.S. will pull more troops from Europe but the process will stretch over years to give allies time to develop capabilities to replace them, NATO's top commander said on Tuesday. U.S. Air Force General Alexus Grynkewich was speaking after decisions by U.S. President Donald Trump's administration to withdraw some 5,000 troops from Germany and cancel deployment of long-range Tomahawk missiles.
NATO not drawing up plans for Hormuz mission, top commander says
NATO is not drawing up any plans for a potential mission in the Strait of Hormuz and would need a political decision to do so, its top commander said on Tuesday, amid suggestions by some members that the alliance could play a role there. Any decision to launch a mission would require the approval of all NATO's 32 members and several have already signalled opposition, although no formal proposal has been presented so far, according to diplomats.
Venezuela to free 300 prisoners this week, top lawmaker says
The head of Venezuela's National Assembly, Jorge Rodriguez, on Tuesday said that 300 prisoners will be released from jail between Monday and Friday. The group is set to include three police officers who have been in custody since 2003, people with medical conditions, and those over the age of 70.
Exclusive-Russians covertly trained by China return to fight in Ukraine, sources say
China's armed forces secretly trained about 200 Russian military personnel in China late last year and some have since returned to fight in Ukraine, according to three European intelligence agencies and documents seen by Reuters. While China and Russia have held a number of joint military exercises since Moscow's full-scale invasion of Ukraine in 2022, Beijing has repeatedly stated that it is neutral in the conflict and presents itself as a peace mediator.
Israeli forces fired shots at Gaza flotilla, all boats intercepted, group says
Israeli forces opened fire on at least two vessels in an aid flotilla sailing towards Gaza on Tuesday, according to video footage and flotilla organisers, but Israel said no live ammunition was used and there were no casualties. The flotilla was making a renewed attempt to deliver aid to Gaza after earlier missions were intercepted by Israel in international waters.
Trump to attend G7 summit in France, Axios reports
U.S. President Donald Trump will attend the G7 leaders' meeting in France in June to speak about artificial intelligence, trade and crime-fighting, Axios reported on Tuesday, citing a White House official. Trump wants to speak about linking U.S. aid with trade, promoting the adoption of U.S.-developed artificial intelligence tools, and reducing China's hold over critical mineral supply chains, among other topics, Axios said.
Drones attack industrial areas in Russia's Stavropol region, governor says
Industrial areas around Nevinnomyssk in Russia's southern Stavropol region are under drone attack, Governor Vladimir Vladimirov said on Telegram. He provided no other details. The area is home to Nevinnomyssky Azot, a large chemical plant, which has been a target of drone attacks from Ukraine before.
US missionary who contracted Ebola is on his way to Germany, CDC says
A U.S. citizen who contracted Ebola in the Democratic Republic of Congo, where an outbreak of a rare strain of the virus has killed over 130 people, is currently on his way to Germany for treatment, the U.S. CDC said on Tuesday. The patient has been previously identified by the Serge Christian mission organization as medical missionary Peter Stafford.
Xi, Putin to meet in Beijing for tea diplomacy after Trump visit
China and Russia's leaders are set to meet for a summit in Beijing on Wednesday featuring discussions on bilateral and international issues, capped by an intimate tete-a-tete between "old friends" over tea. Coming on the heels of U.S. President Donald Trump's visit to the Chinese capital, the optics and outcomes of the meeting between Chinese leader Xi Jinping and Russian President Vladimir Putin will be closely scrutinised and compared.
Court names Mango tycoon's son as suspect in probe into father's death
The son of Isak Andic, founder of fashion group Mango, was named by a judge in Barcelona on Tuesday as a suspect in an investigation into his father's death in a 2024 cliff-top fall. Jonathan Andic, 45, was arrested and questioned by police in Catalonia, then brought to court in handcuffs, where the judge set bail of 1 million euros ($1.16 million) and required him to hand over his passport.
Rubio to visit Sweden for NATO meeting, then India
U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio will travel to Sweden for a meeting of NATO foreign ministers this week where he will discuss the need for "greater burden sharing" by the alliance, and then visit India, the State Department said on Tuesday. Under President Donald Trump, U.S. ties with both NATO and India have been strained, with the president repeatedly threatening to pull out of the alliance and imposing high tariffs on India.
Italy and India set to upgrade ties during Modi's visit to Rome
Italy and India will seek to reinforce diplomatic and trade ties during Prime Minister Narendra Modi's visit to Rome by elevating their relationship to that of a special strategic partnership, an Italian government official said on Tuesday. Like other European countries, Italy has looked to India as an ally during a period of geopolitical upheaval. The European Union earlier this year concluded a long-delayed trade deal with India, partly aimed at reducing its reliance on the United States.
US nuclear power pact with Saudi Arabia lacks strict guardrails, letter says
A proposed U.S. pact with Saudi Arabia on its development of nuclear power lacks the strictest guardrails that Democratic lawmakers had urged, according to a U.S. State Department letter sent to one of the senators. The administration of Republican President Donald Trump said last year that it was pursuing a civil nuclear pact with Saudi Arabia to boost U.S. industry and strengthen diplomatic ties.
Ebola deaths in eastern Congo rise to 131, WHO voices deep concern
Twenty-six more suspected Ebola deaths were recorded in 24 hours in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, authorities said on Tuesday, and the head of the World Health Organization expressed deep concern about the outbreak's spread. The new deaths brought to 131 the fatalities associated with the outbreak in eastern DRC. There have been 543 suspected cases and 33 confirmed cases in DRC, according to Congolese health authorities, and two confirmed cases in neighbouring Uganda.
French judge opens probe into politician Philippe over corruption charges
A French judge has opened an inquiry into centrist politician Edouard Philippe over accusations of harassment, misappropriation of public funds, favouritism, conflict of interest and extortion, the French financial prosecutor said on Tuesday. Philippe, who was prime minister under President Emmanuel Macron for three years and who recently won re-election as mayor of the northern city of Le Havre, is vying to become president in next year's election.
Google News