Facebook to block Donald Trump's accounts for at least next two weeks

Reuters | Washington DC | Updated: 08-01-2021 02:31 IST | Created: 08-01-2021 02:26 IST
Facebook to block Donald Trump's accounts for at least next two weeks
Representative image Image Credit: Pixabay

Facebook Inc said it would block U.S. President Donald Trump's accounts for at least the next two weeks and perhaps indefinitely with CEO Mark Zuckerberg saying the risks of allowing him to use the platform were "simply too great." The block by Facebook, which was joined by live-streaming platform Twitch and photo-sharing service Snap Inc, is the most significant sanction of the president by a major social media company.

Tech giants have been scrambling to crack down on the president's baseless claims about the Nov. 3 U.S. presidential election after hundreds of Trump supporters stormed the U.S. Capitol in unrest that resulted in four deaths. "The shocking events of the last 24 hours clearly demonstrate that President Donald Trump intends to use his remaining time in office to undermine the peaceful and lawful transition of power to his elected successor, Joe Biden," Zuckerberg said in a Facebook post on Thursday. (Post: https://bit.ly/2Lc6Xj1)

He said the action on Trump's Facebook page, which has 35 million followers, would last at least until President-elect Joe Biden takes office on Jan. 20 and would also apply to Facebook-owned Instagram. Twitter Inc temporarily locked Trump's accounts on Wednesday. Twitter said its freeze of @realDonaldTrump, which has more than 88 million followers, would last until 12 hours after Trump removes three tweets. Trump has not tweeted since the being blocked.

Amazon.com Inc's Twitch also said on Thursday it had disabled Trump's channel due to the "extraordinary circumstances and the president's incendiary rhetoric." A spokeswoman said it would reassess Trump's account after he leaves office. E-commerce platform Shopify also said on Thursday it was shutting down service for stores affiliated with Trump for violations of its "acceptable use" policy, prompting e-commerce sites for both the campaign and the Trump Organization to go offline.

The White House did not respond to a request for comment. Social media companies have been under pressure to police misinformation about the U.S. election on their platforms, including from the president. Trump and his allies for months have amplified baseless claims of election fraud and the president told protesters to go to Capitol Hill, with both Republicans and Democrats saying he was responsible for the resulting violence.

In a video posted to Facebook, Twitter and YouTube on Wednesday, which was later deleted by the platforms, Trump repeated election fraud claims as he told protesters to go home. "His decision to use his platform to condone rather than condemn the actions of his supporters at the Capitol building has rightly disturbed people in the U.S. and around the world," said Zuckerberg in his Thursday post.

Civil rights groups including Color of Change have called for social media companies to permanently ban Trump from the platforms, where he has repeatedly violated policies. The Anti-Defamation League praised Facebook's move, calling it "an obvious first step," while the NAACP in a statement said the move was a "long overdue" gesture that "rings hollow."

Facebook has previously been blasted by lawmakers and employees for not acting on inflammatory posts from Trump, including those that have been labeled by Twitter. Facebook has drawn criticism for exempting politicians' posts and ads from its third-party fact-checking program and repeatedly said it does not want to be "the arbiter of truth." The company has in recent months started labeling some of Trump's statements.

Some Facebook employees joined calls for Trump's accounts to be shut down on Wednesday, according to internal posts seen by Reuters. Democratic Representative Bennie Thompson, who chairs the House Homeland Security Committee, said in a statement he was "deeply frustrated that it took a group of domestic terrorists storming the Capitol" for Facebook to take action and wondered "if the decision was an opportunistic one, motivated by the news of a Democratically controlled Congress."

Democratic Senator Mark Warner, incoming chairman of the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence, said he was glad social media was cracking down on Trump's false claims but the actions did not go far enough. "These platforms have served as core organizing infrastructure for violent, far right groups and militia movements for several years now – helping them to recruit, organize, coordinate and in many cases (particularly with respect to YouTube) generate profits from their violent, extremist content," he said in a statement.

YouTube, which is owned by Alphabet Inc's Google, said Thursday any channel that posts videos with false claims about the election results will be temporarily restricted from uploading or live streaming. YouTube did not respond to a question about whether it would ban Trump's account in the same manner as Facebook, while a Twitter spokesman said it was continuing to "evaluate the situation in real time, including examining activity on the ground and statements made off Twitter." He said Twitter would inform the public if an "escalation" in its approach was necessary.

Violent rhetoric ramped up significantly in the past three weeks on major social networks as well as alternative platforms like Parler and pro-Trump site TheDonald.win, as groups planned for the rallies, according to researchers and public postings.

(This story has not been edited by Devdiscourse staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)


TRENDING

OPINION / BLOG / INTERVIEW

Addressing conflict-related sexual violence at long last

... ...

Why unequal access to coronavirus vaccines is a threat to us all

... ...

India’s love affair with fossil fuels: the path to sustainable development?

... ...

Videos

Latest News

Silver: NBA may return to normal in ''21-22, virus permitting

The NBA is expecting arenas to be filled again next season and a return to its normal calendar, Commissioner Adam Silver said, while cautioning again that every plan is contingent on continued progress in the ongoing fight against the coron...

GST evasion: CBIC asks field offices to exercise max caution, prudence in property attachment

The CBIC has directed its field offices to exercise utmost prudence and maximum caution in the attachment of property of a taxpayer and said that such a remedy can be considered in cases involving GST evasion, fake invoicing and delay of mo...

Pussycat Dolls singer Jessica Sutta pregnant with first child

Pussycat Dolls singer Jessica Sutta has announced that she is expecting her first child with husband Mikey Marquart.The singer said she will be giving birth to a baby boy in May. Its been an exciting year for me so far. I got some crazy new...

DMK gives 25 Assembly seats, Kanyakumari LS seat to Congress

After tough negotiations that stretched for days, the DMK on Sunday allotted 25 assembly seats and the Kanyakumari Lok Sabha constituency to its key ally, the Congress.A formal pact for the April 6 Assembly election was signed by DMK presid...

Give Feedback