DMK fields party District Secretary in Thiruvarur by-election
Ending all speculation about fielding someone from the DMK's "first family", the party on Friday announced the candidature of a senior leader Poondi Kalaivanan as its candidate in the Thiruvarur Assembly by-election on January 28.
The 64-year-old Kalaivanan has been the DMK District Secretary of Thiruvarur for more than 10 years and had overlooked the constituency when M. Karunanidhi won the seat in 2016. The seat became vacant after the death of Karunanidhi in August last year.
Earlier, there was speculation that the DMK may field either Stalin's sister Selvi or his sib Udhayanidhi in the by-election to cash in on any sympathy wave for the party.
- People of Odisha aware of Congress party's true character: Dharmendra Pradhan
- FACTBOX-UK opposition Labour Party sets terms for backing May on Brexit
- Ex-Puducherry CM Rangasamy says his newly formed party to contest in LS polls
- Tory's labour party could back Theresa May on Brexit deal, conditions applied
- Pak court orders 9-day custody for senior minister of prime minister's party