Tottenham extends Alderweireld's contract until 2020
Tottenham Hotspur on Friday announced it had extended the contract of Belgian defender Toby Alderweireld until June 2020.
The 29-year-old Alderweireld joined the Premier League side on a transfer from Atletico Madrid in 2015 and became a corner stone in the Spurs defence under Argentine coach Mauricio Pochettino, reports Efe news.
"The Club can confirm that we have activated the option to extend Toby Alderweireld's contract until 2020," Tottenham announced on its website.
Alderweireld made his professional debut in 2008 at AFC Ajax, with whom he won the Eredivisie title three times in a row between 2011-2013.
After a five-year spell at the Dutch club, Alderweireld joined Atletico Madrid, who sent him on a one-season loan to Southampton.
- Soccer-Tottenham confirm north London derby to be played at Wembley
- Soccer-Pochettino adamant Tottenham shift to new stadium this season
- Soccer-Tottenham in title race but Liverpool still favourites, says Pochettino
- UPDATE 2-Soccer-Vertonghen shines as Tottenham cruise past Dortmund 3-0
- UPDATE 1-Soccer-Tottenham overcome Leicester challenge to stay in title hunt