Tennis-Tensions rise in Paris as players cut media time at French Open amid prize money row
The move comes after weeks of mounting frustration among players, who argue that the four Grand Slams distribute a smaller share of revenues than ATP and WTA events while making key decisions without sufficient consultation. "We regret this decision but I’m confident about the discussions that will happen and that we will move forward together," Mauresmo told reporters.
Tournament director Amelie Mauresmo said on Thursday she regretted the decision made by some players to limit their media obligations ahead of the French Open amid growing tensions over prize money and player influence at the Grand Slams.
Several leading players are expected to restrict their appearances at Friday and Saturday’s traditional pre-tournament media days to the mandatory 15-minute sessions before leaving without conducting any additional interviews, according to French media reports, which Mauresmo confirmed. The move comes after weeks of mounting frustration among players, who argue that the four Grand Slams distribute a smaller share of revenues than ATP and WTA events while making key decisions without sufficient consultation.
"We regret this decision but I’m confident about the discussions that will happen and that we will move forward together," Mauresmo told reporters. World number one Aryna Sabalenka had warned earlier this month in Rome that players could eventually consider a boycott if their demands were not heard.
"At some point, we will have to boycott if that's the only solution to defend our rights," Sabalenka said. "We put on the show. Without us, there would be no tournaments, no entertainment. I think we deserve to be paid better." While top ATP and WTA events redistribute around 22% of revenue to players, the Grand Slams are estimated to return closer to 15%, a figure that has fuelled tensions between tournament organisers and player representatives.
Mauresmo said the French Open did not take the boycott threats lightly but added discussions would take place. "We’re taking everything that comes from the players seriously," she said.
"I’m not going to tell you tomorrow night that everything has been solved but the discussion will also continue after the tournament. We’re going to start discussions, which is what everybody wants." The French Open starts on Sunday.
Google News