Left Menu
Development News Edition

Security guard press charges against Elliott for Vegas incident

Reuters | Updated: 14-07-2019 05:23 IST | Created: 14-07-2019 05:19 IST
Security guard press charges against Elliott for Vegas incident
The report said Las Vegas police will investigate to determine if official charges against Elliott should be filed. The incident occurred during the Electric Daisy Carnival at Las Vegas Motor Speedway. Image Credit: Wikipedia

Security guard Kyle Johnson has pressed charges against Dallas Cowboys running back Ezekiel Elliott over a May 19 incident in Las Vegas, Fox 5 Las Vegas reported. The report said Las Vegas police will investigate to determine if official charges against Elliott should be filed. The incident occurred during the Electric Daisy Carnival at Las Vegas Motor Speedway.

On Saturday, Elliott's camp accused Johnson of extortion in a statement released to the NFL Network. "Over the course of the past several weeks, Mr. Elliott has been the target of extortion," Elliott lawyers Scott Rosenblum and Jason Lampert said in the statement. "Kyle Johnson's filing of a criminal complaint against Mr. Elliott in connection with the Las Vegas incident is the latest attempt to do so. Mr. Elliott and his team are in contact with all of the proper authorities and are fully cooperating with them in their investigations."

TMZ has aired video footage of the incident in which Elliott is seen leaning against a security guard, who fell to the ground when the metal railing behind him toppled over. Elliott was handcuffed and briefly detained by Las Vegas police around 3 a.m. before being released. The NFL announced on July 3 that Elliott will not be disciplined for the incident. NFL commissioner Roger Goodell determined there wasn't a violation of the personal conduct policy, the league said.

Johnson was displeased with the NFL's decision so he filed charges on Friday. "To just not have anything happen to him, the NFL is basically saying, 'Hey, it's OK for you to go to Vegas, get obliterated, then go shove people over fences,'" Johnson told Fox 5.

After Elliott met with Goodell earlier this month, the Dallas star posted a note on his Twitter account afterward, saying he needs to make better decisions. He also said he apologized to Johnson at the time of the incident. "I've worked hard to make better decisions and to live up to the high standards that are expected of me," Elliott wrote. "I failed to do that here and I made a poor decision.

"I need to work harder to ensure I do not put myself in compromised situations in the future. I am rededicating myself to use all of the resources that the league has made available. But in the end, it is up to me and I am determined not to be in this position again." Elliott has had personal conduct issues in the past, most notably receiving a six-game suspension in 2017 due to allegations of abuse made by a former girlfriend.

Elliott, who turns 24 on July 22, rushed for 1,434 yards and six touchdowns in 15 games last season. He also caught three touchdown passes. --Field Level Media


TRENDING

OPINION / BLOG / INTERVIEW

How UK’s 'best prepared' healthcare system failed to gauge COVID-19

The UK is proud of their public health system and its unlike any other country as around 90 percent of British public supports the founding principles of National Health Service. But without accurate data being available to stakeholders in ...

Poor on IHR capacity progress in 2019, WHO says Cambodia tops COVID-19 response

Despite being in proximity to Hubei, the original epicenter of COVID-19 pandemic, Cambodia has reported just 226 confirmed cases and zero deaths. After seeing the data, WHO appreciated Cambodias healthcare information system but experts dou...

Loopholes in Healthcare Information System may have failed Singapore COVID-19 model

In the initial days of the COVID-19 outbreak, Singapore was in the limelight for its effective healthcare system and pandemic response plan. However, Singapore has now joined the list of the worst-hit nations and the situation is even worse...

Australia's COVID-19 response: Digital infrastructure of help but implementation remains a challenge

Australias ongoing plans to upgrade its health information system helped by the Digital Health Strategy seem even more practical due to the pandemic. But as evident during the pandemic, administrative lapses and the complex matrix of power ...

Videos

Latest News

INSIGHT-COVID-19 long-term toll signals billions in healthcare costs ahead

Late in March, Laura Gross, 72, was recovering from gall bladder surgery in her Fort Lee, New Jersey, home when she became sick again. Her throat, head and eyes hurt, her muscles and joints ached and she felt like she was in a fog. Her diag...

COVID-19: 203 new cases in Nanded, 73 in Latur

The number of COVID-19 cases increased by 203 on Monday to reach 2,359 in Nanded and by 73 in Latur to touch 2,547, an official said. While 103 people have so far died in Latur, the overall toll in Nanded is 94, including four during the da...

White House, Congress talks on COVID-19 bill to resume Monday afternoon

Congressional Democrats and Trump administration officials will resume talks aimed at hammering out a coronavirus relief bill on Monday afternoon, after missing a vital deadline to extend relief benefits to tens of millions of jobless Ameri...

Surprisingly young galaxy breaks low-oxygen record

Astronomers using two Maunakea Observatories, Subaru Telescope and W. M. Keck Observatory- combined with the power of machine learning, have discovered a nearby galaxy that has broken the record for having the lowest level of oxygen ever se...

Give Feedback