Left Menu
Development News Edition

Soccer-Former ISL champions ATK buy majority share in Mohun Bagan


Soccer-Former ISL champions ATK buy majority share in Mohun Bagan

RPSG Group, which owns Indian Super League (ISL) side ATK, said on Thursday it had bought a majority share in fellow Kolkata-based side Mohun Bagan and the two clubs would soon merge to participate as one team from the 2020-21 season. RPSG Group will become 80% majority shareholder while 130-year-old Mohun Bagan will own the remaining 20%, with the yet-to-be-named new entity set to have branding of both teams.

"RPSG Group which has a 200-year-old legacy is humbled and honoured to welcome Mohun Bagan with folded hands and open arms to the RPSG family," group chairman Sanjiv Goenka said in a statement. "Personally, it's an emotional reunion for me as my father late RP Goenka was a member of Mohun Bagan."

The merged club will come into existence on June 1 and will also participate in other major competitions in the All India Football Federation calendar. Mohun Bagan chairman Swapan Sadhan Bose said the club, which participates in the I-League, recognised the need for bigger investment and a corporate force to take it forward.

"I can assure millions and millions of Bagan supporters spread across the globe, that the poetry will continue. Now that the prose is ready to lend a helping hand," Bose added. Two-times champions ATK are currently third in the 10-team ISL after 12 matches, while Mohun Bagan are top of the I-League and seeking a fifth national title.

(This story has not been edited by Devdiscourse staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

Download The Devdiscourse News App for Latest News.


TRENDING

OPINION/BLOG/INTERVIEW

SDG2030: Challenges of technological applications in advancing Global Goals

Application of contemporary and future information technologies may go milestones in advancing sustainable development goals SDGs provided the challenges are overcome and implementation is ensured....

Sustainable Fashion: UNDP wants you to wear properly to reduce Global Warming 

The experts have estimated that the amount of water used to prepare one pair of jeans and a T shirt is sufficient for a person to drink for 13 years....

World Economic Forum suggests 8 Education Models for Future Schools

In a report released on January 14, the World Economic Forum WEF has also picked two examples for each model from throughout the world. The WEF has emphasized that these schools systems would be crucial for Forth Industrial Revolution.&#160...

Bitterness before US-China Trade Deal on Wednesday

Both the superpowers are going to sign Phase 1 of the US-China Trade Deal on Wednesday. The stock markets are hovering on all time high but the questions are being raised on sustainability of the deal as spat continue between them on severa...

Videos

Latest News

NBA roundup: Doncic, Mavs shoot past Blazers

Luka Doncic made a career-best eight 3-pointers and recorded 35 points, eight rebounds and seven assists to lead the Dallas Mavericks to a 120-112 victory over the visiting Portland Trail Blazers on Friday night. Tim Hardaway Jr. made five ...

News broadcasters meet FM Sitharaman, seek parity in GST with print media

Executive body members of the News Broadcasters Federation have met Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman and requested that TV news channels be treated at par with the print media industry under GST regulations. Currently, GST on the print m...

Tennis-Tsitsipas ready to live the dream again in Melbourne

With Melbournes large Greek community certain to come out and support him in large numbers, the Australian Open is the closest Stefanos Tsitsipas will come to a home Grand Slam and the young gun is determined to put on a show for his fans.T...

UPDATE 2-China reports new Wuhan virus cases ahead of key holiday

Chinese health authorities said on Saturday they had discovered four more cases of pneumonia following an outbreak of what is believed to be a new coronavirus strain in the central city of Wuhan, raising concerns that the disease could spre...

Give Feedback