Ajay Maken steps down as Congress's Delhi unit chief citing health reasons
Senior Congress leader Ajay Maken Friday resigned as the party's Delhi unit chief citing health reasons, sources said on Friday. Congress president Rahul Gandhi, Delhi Congress party affairs in-charge P C Chacko and Maken held a meeting Thursday evening. Gandhi has accepted his resignation, they said.
The 54-year-old leader had taken over as the Congress's Delhi unit chief four years ago after the party lost the 2015 assembly elections. Later, Maken took to Twitter to announce his resignation. "After the 2015 Delhi assembly elections, as its Delhi unit president I received a lot of love from Congress workers, the media covering the party and our leader Rahul Gandhiji. It was not easy in these difficult times. Thank you all," he tweeted.
(With inputs from agencies.)
- Congress workers abuzz in preparations for Priyanka Gandhi's visit to Lucknow
- Priyanaka's UP visit as general secretary fills Congress workers with joy, enthusiasm
- Priyanka seeks 'ground realities' from Congress workers
- Protesting youth congress workers demands closing of Pakistan high commission
- UP Congress workers making elaborate arrangements to welcome Priyanka, Rahul