UPDATE 1-Congo province bans funeral wakes to contain Ebola's spread 

UPDATE 1-Congo province bans funeral wakes to contain Ebola's spread 

* Ituri province bans funeral wakes, restricts gatherings to curb Ebola spread * WHO cites lack of vaccine, violence and misinformation as major challenges

* Rwanda restricts entry from ​DRC, will quarantine returning nationals (Recasts with Ituri measures, adds Tedros comments in paragraphs 5-6, revised WHO ​risk assessment in paragraph 17) By Erikas Mwisi and Emma Farge

BUNIA, ‌Democratic ​Republic of Congo, May 22 (Reuters) - T he eastern Democratic Republic of Congo province most affected by the country's Ebola outbreak banned funeral wakes on Friday, a day after local residents clashed with police while trying to recover the body of a victim. The incident in Ituri province's Rwampara town recalled the hundreds of ‌attacks on health facilities during eastern DRC's 2018-2020 outbreak and underscored the difficulty of imposing strict disease-control practices that conflict with local custom.

The World Health Organization declared the outbreak of the rare Bundibugyo strain - for which there is no vaccine - a public health emergency of international concern over the weekend. It cited the challenge posed by its late detection, the absence of a vaccine or virus-specific therapeutics, widespread armed violence in eastern DRC and high mobility among ‌the population.

Nearly 750 suspected cases and 177 suspected deaths have been recorded in eastern DRC, WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said on Friday. Two cases have also been confirmed in neighbouring Uganda. "These numbers are ‌changing as surveillance efforts and laboratory testing is improving, but violence and insecurity are impeding the response," Tedros said.

Dozens of armed groups operate in eastern DRC. One of them, the Rwanda-backed M23, seized large swathes of territory last year, including cities where Ebola cases have been detected. ITURI GOVERNMENT IMPOSES RESTRICTIVE MEASURES

In an official order on Friday, Ituri's provincial government said burials must now be conducted only by specialized teams and prohibited the transport of dead bodies by non-medical vehicles. It also limited public gatherings to a maximum of ⁠50 people and ​suspended the local football league.

Ebola is an often-fatal virus ⁠that causes fever, body aches, vomiting and diarrhoea. It spreads through direct contact with bodily fluids. Bodies of Ebola victims are highly infectious after death, and unsafe burials - in which family members handle the body without proper protective equipment - are a leading driver of transmission.

The ⁠first known case in the current outbreak died in Bunia, Ituri's capital, on April 24, and the virus spread when mourners touched him during a funeral in the nearby town of Mongbwalu. During the 2018-2020 outbreak, the second-deadliest on record with ​nearly 2,300 fatalities, health facilities were attacked by both civilians angry about the response and armed groups seeking to exploit the outbreak for political and economic gain.

The incident in Rwampara occurred after ⁠the family of footballer Eli Munongo Wangu refused a safe burial for him, disputing that the virus had killed him. "We need to put a lot of efforts now on educating the population," WHO Regional Director for Africa, Mohamed Yakub Janabi, told Reuters on Friday. "There's a ⁠lot ​of misinformation on the ground, so that's another epidemic by itself."

RWANDA BANS ENTRY TO FOREIGNERS RECENTLY IN DRC The WHO on Friday raised its risk assessment from the outbreak for DRC to "very high" from "high", while maintaining its earlier assessment that there was a high risk at the regional level and low risk at the global level.

DRC's eastern neighbour Rwanda said on Friday that it would deny entry to all ⁠foreign nationals who had travelled to or transited through DRC in the last 30 days and would require quarantines for Rwandan nationals or residents who had been in DRC in that time period. The WHO has ⁠urged countries to keep borders open, saying closures could ⁠encourage informal crossings and hamper aid delivery. The United States has also restricted travel from DRC, Uganda and South Sudan.

Also on Friday, the United Nations' top humanitarian official, Tom Fletcher, said the U.N. was releasing around $60 million from an emergency fund for the response. "We need to get ahead of this Ebola outbreak," ‌said Tom Fletcher on X. "These are tough ‌operating environments for lifesaving work. We face conflict and high population movement."

TRENDING

OPINION / BLOG / INTERVIEW

The next e-commerce battle is over algorithmic trust

FinTech adoption and AI maturity drive better corporate financial outcomes

AI benchmarks are driving billion-dollar GenAI valuations

From trash to energy gains: How zero-waste policies are changing cities

DevShots

Latest News

Connect us on

LinkedIn Quora Youtube RSS
Give Feedback