Left Menu
Development News Edition

UPDATE 5-Fighting grips Yemen's Hodeidah port, complicating peace moves

Reuters | Updated: 16-05-2019 03:30 IST | Created: 16-05-2019 03:30 IST
UPDATE 5-Fighting grips Yemen's Hodeidah port, complicating peace moves
Houthi fighters and Saudi-backed pro-government forces battled in Yemen's port city of Hodeidah on Wednesday, breaching a ceasefire and potentially complicating a troop withdrawal agreement intended to pave the way for wider peace talks. The Houthis began withdrawing from three ports on Saturday, including Hodeidah port - a lifeline for millions of Yemenis threatened by starvation because of the four-year war, as it is the main entry point for food imports and humanitarian aid.

A military coalition led by neighboring Saudi Arabia, which receives weapons from the West, intervened in Yemen in March 2015 after the Iran-aligned Houthis ousted President Abd Rabbu Mansour Hadi's government from the capital Sanaa. The war is seen as proxy war between Saudi Arabia and Iran. The Houthis and coalition forces both reported renewed clashes in Hodeidah on Wednesday, a day after the Houthis claimed responsibility for a drone attack that Saudi Arabia said had hit two of its oil pumping stations.

The Saudi-led coalition will "retaliate hard" for any Houthi attacks on coalition targets but remains committed to a Hodeidah peace deal, said a senior official from the United Arab Emirates, which is part of the coalition. Lieutenant General Michael Lollesgaard, who heads a U.N. monitoring mission in Hodeidah, said that while there had been an increase in violations of the ceasefire on Wednesday, "it is not an alarming number ... I think the number that we have now is pretty much what we saw in some of the days before Ramadan."

The Yemen government and the Houthis met in the Swedish capital Stockholm in December and agreed to a ceasefire and troop withdrawal deal for Hodeidah. Under phase one of the deal, the Houthis withdrew from the ports of Hodeidah, Saleef and Ras Isa. This is due to be met by a retreat of Saudi-led coalition forces from the eastern outskirts of Hodeidah, facilitating humanitarian access to grain stores at the Red Sea Mills.

However, Lollesgaard said on Wednesday that a phase one withdrawal by government and coalition forces would not take place until the warring parties have worked out details for a broader phase two redeployment around Hodeidah and agreed on local forces to secure the area. "We need to finalise phase two and the question of the local security forces before we start the full implementation of phase one," Lollesgaard told reporters at the United Nations in New York via video.

"We will never get a perfect plan for phase two ... both parties need to compromise," he said. "The same goes for the local security forces (deal). We could be done in two weeks, but it can also take months if there is no willingness." The U.N. Security Council was briefed on the situation in Yemen earlier on Wednesday.

Acting U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Jonathan Cohen called on all parties to negotiate in good faith to reach a deal on local security forces, exercise restraint and enable the U.N. efforts on the ground, particularly by granting entry to the country for U.N. monitors. "Obstruction of the U.N. process cannot be tolerated. For months apparent breakthroughs have happened just in time for Security Council briefings, then progress stalls," he said. "Council members must consider how to hold parties responsible if they don't implement the Stockholm agreement."

Lollesgaard said there were 15-18 U.N. monitors on the ground in Hodeidah, but that another 30 monitors were still waiting for the Houthis to grant them a visa. Tens of thousands of people have been killed during the conflict in Yemen, many of them civilians, and aid agencies say the humanitarian crisis is the worst in the world.

(Reporting by Mohammed Ghobari in Aden Additional reporting by Michelle Nichols at the United Nations and Rania El Gamal in Dubai Writing by Lisa Barrington Editing by Frances Kerry and Matthew Lewis)


TRENDING

OPINION / BLOG / INTERVIEW

Dissecting how COVID-19 is catalyzing the trajectory of New World Order

The ensuing pandemic of COVID-19 has hit the globalization in two ways firstly, shrinking the importance of globalization as an economic force by curtailing mobility through worldwide lockdowns, and secondly, rejuvenating the idea of indig...

Domestic seafood trade in focus as COVID-19 changes market dynamics

As predicted earlier in a report titled Seafood industry post-COVID 19 An overhaul to trigger the growth of small fisheries, one of the changes going ahead would be increased focus on domestic seafood trade, driven by falling exports and su...

Migration post-COVID 19: Taking cues from the past to rebuild economies

Migrants are an irreplaceable part of even the essential workforce of developed countries and are on the frontline in the fight against the crisis, making an immeasurable contribution to saving the lives of natives with voting rights....

Socialization Post-COVID-19: Local associations and online groups to play crucial role

Though every age group is suffering due to the global lockdown caused by the ensuing COVID-19 pandemic, the challenges before adolescents are unique. Their social space has shrunk drastically, besides, they have become highly vulnerable to ...

Videos

Latest News

Gym closures force Kenyan sports champions to train by roadside

Kenya taekwondo champion Vincent Ochieng usually trains in school sports halls in Kisumu, but now he is working out with hundreds of other people on the gritty surface of the western citys biggest highway flyover. The government closed spor...

Elgar shows interest in becoming South Africa's Test captain

Opener Dean Elgar has expressed his interest in becoming South Africas next Test captain, saying leadership comes naturally to him and he would think long and hard if approached for the job. Du Plessis had resigned as Test captain in Februa...

Delhi records 635 fresh cases of COVID-19, total deaths 276 so far

Delhi recorded 635 fresh cases of COVID-19 on Monday, taking the tally to 14,053 with 276 deaths so far in the national capital.  The number of active patients of COVID-19 was 7,006 while 6,771 patients have either recovered and been ...

COVID-19: Early identification helped Nagpur, says civic chief

Over 75 per cent of people who got infected with novel coronavirus in Nagpur have since recovered and been discharged, and the death rate of 2 per cent is also among the best in Maharashtra and the country, Municipal Commissioner Tukaram Mu...

Give Feedback