Left Menu
Development News Edition

UPDATE 4-Suicide car bomb targets hotel in Somali port city, two journalists confirmed dead

Reuters | Kismayu | Updated: 13-07-2019 02:20 IST | Created: 13-07-2019 02:19 IST
UPDATE 4-Suicide car bomb targets hotel in Somali port city, two journalists confirmed dead
Image Credit:

A car bomb went off on Friday at a hotel in Somalia's port city of Kismayu where local elders and lawmakers had been discussing an upcoming regional election and was followed by gunfire, police said, adding that the death toll could be high. A journalists' group said it had confirmed two reporters among the dead.

The militant Islamist group al Shabaab, which is trying to topple Somalia's central government, claimed responsibility for the attack. It said its fighters had battled their way into the hotel after a suicide car bomb attack. One police officer said the gunfire had died down about an hour and a half after the explosion. Residents said the attackers were still in the hotel at 2000 GMT.

"... but we believe the militants are still in the building. We have not confirmed the death toll, but there were many people inside, and there may be a high death toll," police captain Abdullahi Isak told Reuters by phone. Major Mohamed Abdi, another police officer, told Reuters earlier that local elders and lawmakers were meeting at the Hotel Asasey when the attack happened.

Abdiasis Abu Musab, al Shabaab's military operation spokesman, said the militant group had been behind the attack. "First we targeted (the hotel) with a suicide car bomb and then armed mujahideen (guerrilla fighters) stormed the hotel. We are still fighting inside the hotel," he said.

"There are many dead bodies inside the hotel, including a dead white man. We control the hotel now." Hussein Nur, a shopkeeper in Kismayu, told Reuters: "There were many people including officials and elders, mostly from one clan, who were discussing the coming Kismayu election."

Nur was referring to elections in the city due sometime in August. Somali Journalists Syndicate said in a statement that two journalists based in Kismayu had been confirmed dead in the attack.

"Mohamed Omar Sahal, SBC TV correspondent based in Kismayu and Hodan Naleyeh, female TV journalist and founder of Integration TV (are) both among (those) killed," Abdalle Ahmed Mumin, the syndicate's secretary general, said. It said Naleyeh had recently returned from Canada.

"The deaths of Hodan, 43 and Sahal, 35, become the first journalists killed in the country this year," the statement said. State-run Somali National News Agency said in a statement Prime Minister Hassan Ali Khaire had condemned the attack.

Al Shabaab was ejected from Mogadishu in 2011 and has since been driven from most of its other strongholds. It was driven out of Kismayu in 2012. The city's port had been a major source of revenue for the group from taxes, charcoal exports and levies on arms and other illegal imports.

Kismayu is the commercial capital of Jubbaland, a region of southern Somalia still partly controlled by al Shabaab. It remains a major security threat, with fighters frequently carrying out bombings in Somalia and neighbouring Kenya, whose troops form part of the African Union-mandated peacekeeping force that helps defend the Somali government.

Also Read: Huge blast in hotel in Somalia's Kismayu, followed by gunfire - police


TRENDING

OPINION / BLOG / INTERVIEW

3D printing and the future of manufacturing post COVID-19

The on-demand, customizable, and localized manufacturing of product components facilitated by 3D printing has the potential to redefine manufacturing but there are certain technical, mechanical, and legal limitations that, unless ...

How UK’s 'best prepared' healthcare system failed to gauge COVID-19

The UK is proud of their public health system and its unlike any other country as around 90 percent of British public supports the founding principles of National Health Service. But without accurate data being available to stakeholders in ...

Poor on IHR capacity progress in 2019, WHO says Cambodia tops COVID-19 response

Despite being in proximity to Hubei, the original epicenter of COVID-19 pandemic, Cambodia has reported just 226 confirmed cases and zero deaths. After seeing the data, WHO appreciated Cambodias healthcare information system but experts dou...

Loopholes in Healthcare Information System may have failed Singapore COVID-19 model

In the initial days of the COVID-19 outbreak, Singapore was in the limelight for its effective healthcare system and pandemic response plan. However, Singapore has now joined the list of the worst-hit nations and the situation is even worse...

Videos

Latest News

China opposes U.S. orders against TikTok, WeChat, to defend interests

Chinas foreign ministry firmly opposes executive orders announced by U.S. President Donald Trump banning U.S. transactions with the Chinese owners of messaging app WeChat and video-sharing app TikTok, Beijing said on Friday.Beijing will def...

Hong Kong stocks post fourth straight weekly drop as Sino-U.S. tensions weigh

Hong Kong stocks ended lower on Friday and posted a fourth straight weekly drop, after the Trump administration unveiled a plan to ban U.S. transactions with ByteDances TikTok and Tencent-owned WeChat. At the close, the Hang Seng index fell...

SC refuses to hear PIL for probe against Congress party over China pact

The Supreme Court Friday refused to entertain a PIL seeking NIA probe into the alleged 2008 agreement between the Indian National Congress and the Communist Party of China. A bench headed by Chief Justice S A Bobde asked senior lawyer Ma...

Singer Selena Gomez puts her culinary skills to test for new show

Selena Gomezs much-awaited cooking show, premiering from August 13 on HBO Max, will see the singer put her culinary skills to test, albeit with some professional help. According to CNN, Selena Chef was filmed amid the coronavirus pandemic,...

Give Feedback