Left Menu
Development News Edition

Pentagon chief says U.S. working towards 'good deal' with Taliban

Reuters | Washington DC | Updated: 07-09-2019 14:50 IST | Created: 07-09-2019 14:49 IST
Pentagon chief says U.S. working towards 'good deal' with Taliban
Image Credit: Twitter (@SecArmy)

U.S. Defense Secretary Mark Esper said on Saturday that while it was seeking a political agreement with the Taliban, Washington would not accept just any deal after a wave of violence cast a shadow over its talks with the insurgent group. Afghan leaders including President Ashraf Ghani have been increasingly critical of the apparent draft deal reached between U.S. special envoy Zalmay Khalilzad and Taliban representatives in Doha this week as the violence has escalated.

"The United States' view is that the best way forward is a political agreement and that (is what) we're working diligently on right now, that doesn't mean we'll take any deal," Esper said during a press conference in Paris with his French counterpart. "We will make sure we have a good deal, a good enough deal that guarantees at least the security of our countries going forward and a brighter path ahead for the Afghan people."

Under the draft accord with the Taliban, thousands of U.S. troops would be withdrawn over the coming months in exchange for guarantees that Afghanistan would not be used as a base for militant attacks on the United States and its allies. However, according to the agreement, a full peace agreement to end more than 18 years of war would depend on subsequent "intra Afghan" talks. The Taliban have rejected calls for a ceasefire and instead stepped up operations across the country.

On Friday U.S. envoy Khalilzad was back in the Qatari capital Doha, along with General Scott Miller, the top U.S. commander in Afghanistan, to continue talks with the Taliban, who said the meeting had gone well. Afghanistan's Tolo TV reported that the Afghan president had been due to visit Washington for talks with U.S. President Donald Trump on Monday only for his trip to be canceled at the last minute.

The United States ended its combat role in 2014, although 20,000 U.S. and NATO forces remain. They still train and support Afghan troops fighting the Taliban who fear being left vulnerable if the United States leaves.

Also Read: Oppn delegation sent back from Srinagar airport, leaders question govt's 'claim of normalcy'


TRENDING

OPINION / BLOG / INTERVIEW

Pandemic must be impetus, not obstacle, for clean water access

To make matters worse, there are suspicions that the inadequacy of wastewater treatment methods in California, the rest of the USA, and indeed around the world may help to propagate the disease even more widely. ...

3D printing and the future of manufacturing post COVID-19

The on-demand, customizable, and localized manufacturing of product components facilitated by 3D printing has the potential to redefine manufacturing but there are certain technical, mechanical, and legal limitations that, unless ...

How UK’s 'best prepared' healthcare system failed to gauge COVID-19

The UK is proud of their public health system and its unlike any other country as around 90 percent of British public supports the founding principles of National Health Service. But without accurate data being available to stakeholders in ...

Poor on IHR capacity progress in 2019, WHO says Cambodia tops COVID-19 response

Despite being in proximity to Hubei, the original epicenter of COVID-19 pandemic, Cambodia has reported just 226 confirmed cases and zero deaths. After seeing the data, WHO appreciated Cambodias healthcare information system but experts dou...

Videos

Latest News

Esper: U.S. will cut troop levels in Afghanistan to 'less than 5,000'

The United States plans to cut its troop levels in Afghanistan to a number less than 5,000 by the end of November, Defense Secretary Mark Esper said in an interview broadcast on Saturday, adding detail to drawdown plans U.S. President Donal...

DeSclafani sharp again as Reds down Brewers

Anthony DeSclafani allowed two hits over six scoreless innings, and Eugenio Suarez belted a three-run homer in the first, as the visiting Cincinnati Reds posted a second straight win over the Milwaukee Brewers, 4-1 on Saturday night. In his...

Orioles rally with five-run eighth, neutralize Nationals

Anthony Santander belted a three-run homer in the eighth, and Pat Valaika and Pedro Severino hit back-to-back pinch-hit solo shots earlier in the inning as the visiting Baltimore Orioles rallied for a 5-3 victory over the Washington Nationa...

India's youth should take pledge to fight against BJP govt over unemployment: Congress' Ponnam Prabhakar

As the Indian Youth Congress IYC will start Rozgar Do campaign on its foundation day on Sunday, Working President Telangana Pradesh Congress Committee TPCC Ponnam Prabhakar has said all youth in the country should take a pledge to fight aga...

Give Feedback