Left Menu
Development News Edition

Turkish forces intensify bombardment around Syrian town

Reuters | Updated: 12-10-2019 12:09 IST | Created: 12-10-2019 12:06 IST
Turkish forces intensify bombardment around Syrian town
Image Credit: ANI

Turkish forces stepped up their bombardment around a town in northeast Syria on Saturday, the fourth day of an offensive against a Kurdish militia, after U.S. troops in the region came under artillery fire from Turkish positions.

The United States has ramped up its efforts to persuade Ankara to halt the incursion against the U.S.-backed Kurdish forces, saying Ankara was causing "great harm" to ties and could face sanctions. Turkey opened its offensive after U.S. President Donald Trump spoke by phone on Sunday with Turkey's President Tayyip Erdogan and withdrew U.S. troops who had been fighting alongside Kurdish forces.

On Friday evening, Erdogan dismissed mounting international criticism of the operation and said Turkey "will not stop it, no matter what anyone says". On the frontlines, thick plumes of smoke rose around Syria's Ras al-Ain, one of two border towns targeted in the offensive, as Turkish artillery targeted the area on Saturday, said a Reuters reporter across the frontier in the Turkish town of Ceylanpinar.

Intense gunfire also resounded from within the town of Ras al-Ain itself, while warplanes could be heard flying overhead, he said. It was quieter at Tel Abyad, the operation's other main target some 120 km (75 miles) to the west, with only occasional shell fire, heard in the area, another Reuters reporter said.

Earlier, the Pentagon said none of its soldiers was wounded in the Turkish artillery fire near Syria's Kobani, some 60 km (37 miles) west of the main area of conflict. Turkey's Defence Ministry said its forces did not open fire at the U.S. base and took all precautions to prevent any harm to it while it was responding to fire from a nearby area by the Kurdish YPG militia, which Ankara regards as a terrorist group.

A war monitor gave a death toll of more than 100 from the first days of the assault. The United Nations said 100,000 people had fled their homes. On Saturday morning, Turkey's Defence Ministry said that 415 YPG militants had been "neutralised" since the operation began, a term that commonly means killed.

ISLAMIC STATE

The Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), with the Kurdish YPG as its main fighting element, now holds most of the territory that once made up Islamic State's "caliphate" in Syria, and has been keeping thousands of fighters from the jihadist group in jail and tens of thousands of their family members in camps.

The Kurdish militia says the Turkish assault could allow the jihadist group to re-emerge as some of its followers were escaping from prisons. In its first big attack since the assault began on Tuesday, Islamic State claimed responsibility for a deadly car bomb in Qamishli, the largest city in the Kurdish-held area, even as the city came under Turkish shelling.

Five Islamic State fighters fled a jail there, and foreign women from the group being held in a camp torched tents and attacked guards with sticks and stones, the SDF said. U.S. lawmakers introduced more legislation on Friday seeking stiff sanctions on Turkey over the offensive, underscoring unhappiness from both Democrats and President Trump's fellow Republicans in Congress over his Syria policy.

U.S. military officials denied lawmakers' accusations that the Trump administration had abandoned U.S. allies to a Turkish military onslaught. Ankara says it aims to defeat the YPG, which it sees as an enemy for its links to militants who have fought a decades-old insurgency in Turkey. U.S. Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said Trump had authorized the drafting of "very significant" new sanctions against Turkey, a NATO ally. Washington was not activating the curbs now but would do so if necessary, Mnuchin said.

Turkey aims to set up a "safe zone" inside Syria, where it can resettle many of the 3.6 million refugees it has been hosting. Erdogan threatened to send refugees to Europe if the European Union did not back his assault, prompting a furious response from the EU.

Also Read: UPDATE 1-Erdogan, Trump discuss Syria 'safe zone' in phone call; to meet next month -Ankara


TRENDING

OPINION / BLOG / INTERVIEW

New farm bills in India: Focusing on farms or farmers?

... ...

Kenya’s COVID-19 response: Chaos amid lack of information

Confusing numbers and scanty information on how effective curfews and lockdowns have been in breaking transmission have amplified coordination and planning challenges in Kenyas response to COVID-19. Without accurate data, it is impossible t...

Farkhad Akhmedov: Calculating the price of impunity from the law

In insistences such as the battle over the Luna, Akhmedov has resorted to extreme legal machinations to subvert the High Courts decision and keep his assets from being seized. ...

Guinea’s elections hearken back to the autocracy and violence of its past

... ...

Videos

Latest News

FACTBOX-Latest on the worldwide spread of coronavirus

U.S. hospitals have seen a 36 rise in coronavirus patients over the past four weeks, while in Australia residents in five suburbs in Melbourne have been put on alert after a new case in a school sparked fears of a fresh outbreak.DEATHS AND ...

2 women arrested for robbing elderly man in Delhi

Two women were arrested on Thursday for allegedly robbing a senior citizen of Rs 50,000 in south Delhi, police said. The accused have been identified as Renu 36 and Jyoti 34, both residents of Rajgarh district in Madhya Pradesh, they said.P...

Toyota Tsusho bets on start-up Tugende's small loans to boost Africa business

The trading arm of the Toyota Group has invested 4 million in Ugandan start-up Tugende, saying it hopes the firms loans to small, independent businesses will also help customers buy the carmakers vehicles. Launched in 2012 in Uganda, Tugend...

Volkswagen appoints Ashish Gupta as Brand Director for India ops

Volkswagen Passenger Cars India on Thursday said it has appointed Ashish Gupta as Brand Director for the Indian operations with effect from November 1. Gupta succeeds Steffen Knapp, who had been leading the Indian operations since August 20...

Give Feedback