Left Menu
Development News Edition

Financial market website Zero Hedge knocked off Twitter over coronavirus story

Reuters | Updated: 03-02-2020 02:40 IST | Created: 03-02-2020 00:28 IST
Financial market website Zero Hedge knocked off Twitter over coronavirus story
Representative Image Image Credit: IANS

Twitter Inc has banned financial market website Zero Hedge from the social media platform after it published an article linking a Chinese scientist to the outbreak of the fast-spreading coronavirus last week.

Zero Hedge said it received a notification from Twitter on Friday, accusing it of violating Twitter's "rules against abuse and harassment." The move against the website came as the coronavirus has stoked a wave of anti-China sentiment around the globe. Hoaxes have spread widely online, promoted by conspiracy theorists and exacerbated by a dearth of information from the cordoned-off zone around China's central city of Wuhan, where the outbreak began.

Twitter confirmed to Reuters on Sunday Zero Hedge's account on its platform had been permanently suspended for violating "platform manipulation policy." Zero Hedge said it initially thought the suspension was triggered by an article it published on Friday about the makeup of the coronavirus. But it said it later learned Twitter had received a complaint from online news website BuzzFeed over a separate article.

BuzzFeed said Zero Hedge had released the personal information of a scientist from Wuhan in an article that made allegations about coronavirus having been concocted "as a bioweapon." The article was titled "Is This The Man Behind The Global Coronavirus Pandemic?" BuzzFeed did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Last week, Twitter had said "those who engage in coordinated attempts to spread disinformation at scale about coronavirus issue will be removed from service." Facebook Inc also said it would take down misinformation about the virus.

Zero Hedge, which covers mostly finance and economics, had more than 670,000 followers on Twitter as of its suspension. The coronavirus has killed more than 300 people in China, and more than two dozen other countries have confirmed cases of the virus.

(This story has not been edited by Devdiscourse staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

Download The Devdiscourse News App for Latest News.


TRENDING

OPINION / BLOG / INTERVIEW

All party meeting - Blocking dialogue not culture of Bengal, Mamata needs to speak up

If that happens, history will record it as the dark age of Bengal....

Diya Jalao for COVID 19: How Modi put Power Grids and power warriors at risk?

While Prime Minister Narendra Modis staunch supporters are busy in search of hidden science behind the sudden announcement of 9minutes9pm campaign but his ignorance of the actual science has put the nation in another danger. The scientists ...

'Diya jalao' for COVID 19: Modi needs to practice his teachings and control fake news on social media

In his video message to the nation on Friday the Prime Minister talks about peoples collective power to win the invincible. However, he has made no concreate efforts to win over the confidence and represent the collective power of the polit...

Videos

Latest News

Queen delivers special COVID-19 address, says 'we will succeed... and we will meet again'

Britains Queen Elizabeth II, in a rare televised address to the nation, invoked a war-time spirit of self-discipline and resolve to fight the coronavirus pandemic which has killed nearly 5,000 in the country and about 70,000 people globally...

Cutrone, Pezzella, Vlahovic recover from coronavirus, ACF Fiorentina confirms

The Italian club ACF Fiorentina on Sunday confirmed that Patrick Cutrone, German Pezzella and Dusan Vlahovic have recovered from coronavirus. ACF Fiorentina is delighted to announce that tests have revealed that Patrick Cutrone, German Pezz...

Virus-hit Carnival cruise ship docks in Australia as country's death toll hits 39

Carnival Corps troubled Ruby Princess cruise liner, the biggest single source of coronavirus infections in Australia, docked south of Sydney on Monday to get help for sick crew members requiring urgent medical treatment. The Ruby Princess, ...

Be scared stay safe, please don't be brave in this situation, Salman Khan advises people on COVID-19 lockdown

Acknowledging on being scared and talking of not seeing his family for three weeks, actor Salman Khan along with nephew Nirvaan on Sunday shared their lockdown experience in a video message. The 54-year-old star, without disclosing where th...

Give Feedback