Javed Akhtar defamation case: Kangana appears before Mumbai magistrate court, says she has lost faith in it
Bollywood actor Kangana Ranaut appeared before a Mumbai court on Monday in connection with a criminal defamation complaint filed against her by lyricist Javed Akhtar and said she had ''lost faith'' in the magistrate's court as it indirectly ''threatened'' her of issuing a warrant if she failed to appear before it in a bailable offense.
Ranaut also moved a counter-complaint in the court against Akhtar for alleged ''extortion and criminal intimidation'', and her lawyer informed the court that they had applied to the chief metropolitan magistrate, seeking transfer of hearing into the complaint to another court.
The court had last week said it will issue a warrant against Ranaut if she fails to appear on the next date of hearing on September 20.
Siddique said they have ''lost faith in the court as it seems to be biased''.
The court has indirectly ''threatened'' her of issuing a warrant on two occasions in a non-cognizable, compoundable, and bailable offense, whereas per law regular presence is not required, the lawyer claimed.
Ranaut has been called before the court without any cause or reason, he said.
He further submitted that till today, there is no order as to why she is required to be present regularly for the bailable, non-cognizable, and compoundable offense.
Akhtar's lawyer Jay Bharadwaj termed Ranaut's plea for transfer of complaint to another court as ''extremely bizarre''.
''They have neither given any notice nor a copy of the (transfer) application to us,'' he said. The court will hear the matter next on November 15.
Earlier this month, the Bombay High Court dismissed a plea filed by Ranaut seeking quashing of proceedings initiated against her by the local court on the criminal defamation complaint filed by Akhtar.
Justice Revati Mohite-Dere had said in the order that there was no procedural illegality or irregularity in the metropolitan magistrate's order initiating the proceedings.
Akhtar (76) had filed the complaint in the court in November last year, claiming Ranaut had made defamatory statements against him in a television interview, which allegedly damaged his reputation.
In his complaint, Akhtar claimed that Ranaut dragged his name during an interview while referring to a 'coterie' existing in Bollywood, following the alleged suicide committed by actor Sushant Singh Rajput in June last year.
(This story has not been edited by Devdiscourse staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)