Kings of good times: Video of liquor inside UP jail gets 6 officials suspended
A Raebareli jail video showing inmates having drinks inside the barrack went viral on social media Monday, prompting the Uttar Pradesh government to suspend six officials, including a senior jail superintendent.
The video also showed one of the inmates calling someone using a mobile phone to order liquor, and another threatening someone to get money.
After local TV news channels repeatedly telecast the footage, the authorities swung into action and shifted the four inmates seen in the video to other jails.
He said that after the video came to light, the jail premises was checked by the administration and local authorities and four mobiles and a SIM card were recovered.
Those suspended included senior jail superintendent Pramod Kumar Shukla and three jail warders, he said.
(With inputs from agencies.)
- 175 cartons of illegal liquor worth Rs 14 lakh seized in UP
- UK Home Secretary orders liquor baron Vijaya Mallya's extradition to India.
- 650 cartons of liquor seized in Gzb, 2 held
- 4 die after allegedly consuming spurious liquor in UP, triggering protest by local women
- Madras HC queries state government on PIL seeking to restrict liquor shop timings