Taliban's talks with US envoy focus on withdrawal of NATO troops from Afganistan
US peace envoy Zalmay Khalilzad met with the Taliban this week in the United Arab Emirates, with Saudi, Pakistani and Emirati officials also participating. The Afghan government sent a delegation to the UAE but it did not take part in the talks.
Khalilzad tweeted Wednesday that the talks were "productive," without mentioning the Taliban by name.
Since being appointed in September, Khalilzad has met with all sides to try to restart peace talks aimed at ending America's longest war.
(With inputs from agencies.)
- Pompeo speaks with Afghan President on ongoing peace talks with Taliban
- US general plays down optimism over peace talks with Taliban
- Taliban-Afghan politician second day peace talks in Moscow as Kabul govt ignored
- UPDATE 4-Acting Pentagon chief supports Kabul role in peace talks
- UPDATE 1-Acting Pentagon chief makes first Afghanistan trip before next round of peace talks