Devdiscourse
Development News Edition
Give Feedback
VisionRI - Urban Development

Libya govt to sue Khalifa Haftar at International Criminal Court over deadly rocket attacks


Devdiscourse News Desk tripoli Libya
Updated: 17-04-2019 15:47 IST
Libya govt to sue Khalifa Haftar at International Criminal Court over deadly rocket attacks

Al-Sarraj asserted that his government will lodge legal files that document the violations committed by Khalifa Haftar at International Criminal Court.

The head of the United Nation-recognized Government of National Accord in Libya's capital Tripoli on Wednesday, April 17 vowed to sue the commander of East Libya-based forces, Khalifa Haftar before the International Criminal Court (ICC) over deadly rocket attacks in the capital.

The remarks by Fayez al-Sarraj -- who also chairs Libya's Presidential Council -- came in the wake of rocket attacks that left six civilians dead and at least 35 injured.

"Khalifa Haftar's brutal and barbaric shelling on Abu Salim and Al-Intisar districts manifest his brutality," al-Sarraj said, describing Haftar as a "war criminal". Al-Sarraj asserted that his government will lodge legal files that document the violations committed by Khalifa Haftar at International Criminal Court.

The attacks came amid fighting in the capital since Haftar launched a military campaign earlier this month to capture Tripoli, where the Government of National Accord (GNA) is based. On Monday, the GNA said at least 76 people, including 24 civilians, had been killed since clashes erupted in the surroundings of Tripoli.

Since the 2011 ouster of late strongman Muammar Gaddafi, two seats of power have emerged Libya: one in eastern Libya, and another in Tripoli, which enjoys UN's recognition, Anadolu Agency reported.

Also Read: Clashes in Libya's Tripoli kill 56: WHO

COUNTRY : Libya

POST A COMMENT