The World Health Organization (WHO) on April 11 said that the clashes in the Libyan capital Tripoli between the eastern-based army and the UN-backed government's forces have killed 56 people and injured 226 others so far.
"Heavy shelling and gunfire in the Libyan capital over the past six days have wounded 266 people and killed 56, including an ambulance driver and two medical doctors," WHO said in a statement. "Thousands of people have fled their homes, while others are trapped in conflict areas. Hospitals inside and outside the city are receiving daily casualties," the statement said.
The organization has provided emergency supplies to field hospitals, WHO said, warning that "the work of ambulances and hospital teams is being hampered by continuous shelling and armed clashes, including heavily populated residential areas."
"We fear that prolonged conflict will lead to more casualties, drain the area's limited supplies and further damage health infrastructure. We call on the international community to ensure adequate funding to support the current crisis," said Syed Jaffar Hussain, WHO representative in Libya. Last week, the army launched a military campaign to take over the capital Tripoli where the UN-backed government is based, as reported by Xinhua.
The army is allied with the eastern-based government, as the country is politically divided between western and eastern governments. Libya has been struggling to make a democratic transition amid insecurity and chaos since the fall of former leader Gaddafi's regime in 2011.