CPI pays tribute to renowned socialist Fernandes
The CPI Tuesday condoled the death of former Union Minister George Fernandes, recalling the departed leader's contributions as a trade unionist. "He (Fernandes) led many trade union movements. As a socialist leader, he contributed a lot. But, unfortunately,... he joined the BJP and supported the rightist politics, though he did not become a part of it. However, his contribution is to be remembered," CPI General Secretary S Sudhakar Reddy told PTI here.
"I convey my heartfelt condolences at the demise of Fernandes," he said. Reddy recalled that he had worked with Fernandes in the Parliament during 2004-2009. Fernandes, who was Defence Minister in the Atal Bihari Vajpayee government, passed away Tuesday following a prolonged illness. He was 88.
(With inputs from agencies.)
- Texas Catholic leaders identify 286 priests accused of child sexual abuse
- Roman Catholic leaders in Texas name 300 priests, others accused of sexual abuse
- Spiritual leader Shri Prakash Ji wins defamation lawsuit against RATSIRS
- TMC has destroyed secular forces in Bengal by poaching on MLAs, MPs: Cong leader
- Shoojit Sircar unavailable to direct George Fernandes biopic