Left Menu
Development News Edition

Yemen govt rules out talks until separatists withdraw from Aden

PTI | Dubai | Updated: 14-08-2019 22:35 IST | Created: 14-08-2019 22:34 IST
Yemen govt rules out talks until separatists withdraw from Aden
Image Credit: Wikipedia

Yemen's government on Wednesday ruled out talks with southern separatists until they withdraw from positions they seized last week in second city Aden. The fighting saw forces that back the Southern Transitional Council (STC) take five barracks, the presidential palace, and the prime minister's office.

The fighting sparked tensions within a Saudi-led coalition that backs the government against northern-based Huthi rebels. A key member of the coalition, the United Arab Emirates, trained the force that led the Aden offensive.

Saudi Arabia has proposed peace talks in Riyadh, a call supported by the UAE. Yemen's Washington embassy, quoting the foreign ministry, on Wednesday welcomed the Saudi initiative to address the "coup" in Aden. But, it said in a tweet, separatists "must first commit to total withdrawal from areas forcibly seized by STC in past few days before the start of any talks."

The STC has voiced willingness to take part in the talks but has not given any sign that it is ready to withdraw, say security sources close to the movement. South Yemen was an independent country until it merged with the north in 1990.

An armed secession bid four years later ended with its occupation by northern forces, provoking resentments that still persist. The deadly fighting in Aden has further complicated Yemen's devastating conflict, which has killed tens of thousands of people and contributed to what the UN calls the world's worst humanitarian crisis.

The Saudi-led coalition intervened in 2015 to prop up the government of President Abedrabbo Mansour Hadi after the Huthis ousted it from the capital Sanaa. But last week's clashes saw the UAE-trained Security Belt Force seize Aden -- the government's interim capital -- potentially further destabilizing the country's south.

The fighting left 40 dead and 260 wounded, according to the UN. Hadi himself has long been absent from Yemen, having fled to Riyadh as the Huthis advanced on Sanaa.

The Iran-backed rebels continue to control vast swathes of the country including the capital and areas close to the Saudi border. Analysts say the tensions may weaken the coalition's military campaign against the Huthis.


TRENDING

OPINION / BLOG / INTERVIEW

Pandemic must be impetus, not obstacle, for clean water access

To make matters worse, there are suspicions that the inadequacy of wastewater treatment methods in California, the rest of the USA, and indeed around the world may help to propagate the disease even more widely. ...

3D printing and the future of manufacturing post COVID-19

The on-demand, customizable, and localized manufacturing of product components facilitated by 3D printing has the potential to redefine manufacturing but there are certain technical, mechanical, and legal limitations that, unless ...

How UK’s 'best prepared' healthcare system failed to gauge COVID-19

The UK is proud of their public health system and its unlike any other country as around 90 percent of British public supports the founding principles of National Health Service. But without accurate data being available to stakeholders in ...

Poor on IHR capacity progress in 2019, WHO says Cambodia tops COVID-19 response

Despite being in proximity to Hubei, the original epicenter of COVID-19 pandemic, Cambodia has reported just 226 confirmed cases and zero deaths. After seeing the data, WHO appreciated Cambodias healthcare information system but experts dou...

Videos

Latest News

For pandemic jobless, the only real certainty is uncertainty

For three decades, Kelly Flint flourished as a corporate travel agent, sending everyone from business titans to oil riggers around the planet. Then came the worst pandemic in a century, leaving her jobless and marooned in an uncertain econo...

BCCI eyes start of domestic season from November 19, IPL players may miss first few rounds

The BCCI is mulling November 19 as tentative date for start of domestic season with Syed Mushtaq Ali T20 tournament but Indian players in various IPL teams wont be able to play first few rounds due to quarantine protocols in place. The dela...

North Macedonia police find 94 migrants hidden in truck

Police in North Macedonia say they have found 94 migrants packed into a truck in a the countrys southeast. A police patrol stopped the truck with Macedonian national license plates late Saturday near the town of Radovish, 110 kilometers 68 ...

Ghazipur slaughterhouse: Mayor says norms to apply relaxed for new tender

East Delhi Mayor Nirmal Jain on Sunday said that the norms to apply to a new tender for the Ghazipur slaughterhouse have been significantly relaxed for private companies. The last date to apply for the tender floated on July 20, is August 2...

Give Feedback