Left Menu
Development News Edition

Thousands march in Yemen's Aden for independent south

PTI | Aden | Updated: 15-08-2019 17:34 IST | Created: 15-08-2019 17:34 IST
Thousands march in Yemen's Aden for independent south

Aden, Aug 15 (AFP) Thousands of Yemenis marched through Aden Thursday demanding renewed independence for the south after separatist fighters drove unionist forces out of its former capital in deadly fighting last week. The demonstrators rallied in the Khormaksar district in the heart of the sprawling port city, waving southern flags and banners proclaiming loyalty to the separatist Southern Transitional Council (STC).

Organisers said many of the demonstrators had travelled into the city from neighbouring southern provinces to add their voice to the calls for secession. South Yemen was an independent country until it merged with the north in 1990. An armed secession bid four years later ended in occupation by northern forces, which provoked resentments that persist to this day.

Separatist forces trained and equipped by the United Arab Emirates seized the presidential palace in Aden on Saturday following days of clashes with rival, unionist forces loyal to the government of President Abedrabbo Mansour Hadi. The clashes left at least 40 people dead and 260 wounded, according to the United Nations.

Hadi's government on Wednesday ruled out any talks with the separatists until they withdraw from the positions they seized last week. Saudi Arabia, which has led a long and costly military intervention supporting the government against Huthi rebels from the north, has also called on the separatists to pull back to clear the way for dialogue.

But a petition signed by southern civil society organisations and trade unions called on the Saudi-led coalition to hand over administration of the south to the separatist STC. It urged STC chief Aidarus al-Zubaidi to declare independence and appealed for international recognition for the breakaway state.

Analysts say the break between Hadi's government and the separatists reflects a wider split between the main partners in coalition, Riyadh and Abu Dhabi, that threatens to undermine their common battle against the Huthis. After four and a half years of military intervention, the rebels remain in control of the capital Sanaa and much of the more populous north.

The conflict has claimed the lives of tens of thousands of people and displaced some 3.3 million. Two-thirds of the population -- some 20 million people -- require humanitarian support, according to the United Nations. (AFP) RS RS


TRENDING

OPINION / BLOG / INTERVIEW

Pandemic must be impetus, not obstacle, for clean water access

To make matters worse, there are suspicions that the inadequacy of wastewater treatment methods in California, the rest of the USA, and indeed around the world may help to propagate the disease even more widely. ...

3D printing and the future of manufacturing post COVID-19

The on-demand, customizable, and localized manufacturing of product components facilitated by 3D printing has the potential to redefine manufacturing but there are certain technical, mechanical, and legal limitations that, unless ...

How UK’s 'best prepared' healthcare system failed to gauge COVID-19

The UK is proud of their public health system and its unlike any other country as around 90 percent of British public supports the founding principles of National Health Service. But without accurate data being available to stakeholders in ...

Poor on IHR capacity progress in 2019, WHO says Cambodia tops COVID-19 response

Despite being in proximity to Hubei, the original epicenter of COVID-19 pandemic, Cambodia has reported just 226 confirmed cases and zero deaths. After seeing the data, WHO appreciated Cambodias healthcare information system but experts dou...

Videos

Latest News

HK tycoon Jimmy Lai arrested under security law, bearing out "worst fears"

Hong Kong media tycoon Jimmy Lai became the highest-profile arrest under a new national security law on Monday, detained over suspected collusion with foreign forces as scores of police searched the offices of his Apple Daily newspaper. Lai...

Snooker-O'Sullivan slams young players for poor standards

Former world number one Ronnie OSullivan delivered a scathing attack on the next generation of snooker players after he made the quarter finals of the World Snooker Championship on Sunday. The Briton, who turned professional in 1992, will f...

Brewers break out in sixth, club Reds 9-3

Justin Smoak had two hits during a six-run sixth inning, including a two-run single, and the Milwaukee Brewers avoided a three-game series sweep at the hands of the visiting Cincinnati Reds with a 9-3 win on Sunday. After totaling four runs...

Rugby-Waratahs' attacking threat was always bubbling under the surface: Newsome

The attacking verve shown by the New South Wales Waratahs in their rout of the Queensland Reds at the weekend had been bubbling away under the surface all season, winger Alex Newsome said, they just had to find a way to tap into it. The War...

Give Feedback