Left Menu
Development News Edition

Key questions as Wimbledon faces postponement or cancellation


Key questions as Wimbledon faces postponement or cancellation

The All England Club will hold an emergency meeting next week to discuss the possible postponement or even cancellation of Wimbledon in the light of the coronavirus pandemic. AFP Sport looks at the key questions facing the organisers of what is generally regarded as the world's most prestigious tennis tournament.

What are the options for Wimbledon this year? ============================================= -- Wimbledon, which is scheduled to take place from June 29 until July 12, has been staged every year in peace time since 1877, shelved only during the two world wars. However, the spread of the coronavirus has brought havoc to the 2020 global sports calendar.

Tennis is at a standstill until June 7 with the entire European claycourt season already wiped out. Roland Garros, traditionally the season's second Grand Slam of four, has been rescheduled from its traditional late May-early June slot to September 20-October 4.

The grass court season is relatively short, five weeks for the leading events, so Wimbledon would appear to have time on their side. However, building and preparation work at the All England Club site in leafy south-west London takes two months to complete and is set to start at the end of April.

There is also the issue of when the coronavirus will peak. By Thursday, there had been 170 fatalities in London alone with 578 nationwide. Around 9,500 people have been infected so far in the United Kingdom. Health is the top issue for an event which attracts not only the superstars of the sport, but also close to 500,000 spectators each year as well as 6,000 staff and around 3,200 accredited media.

Why can't the tournament be played later in the year? ===================================================== A slot has opened up in the calendar after the postponement of the Tokyo Olympics until next year. However, Wimbledon organisers know that a postponement by a just fortnight to take advantage of that opening would solve little.

It would also mean running into the build-up to the US hardcourt season, the precursor to the August-September US Open in New York. "At this time, based on the advice we have received from the public health authorities, the very short window available to us to stage The Championships due to the nature of our surface suggests that postponement is not without significant risk and difficulty.

"Playing behind closed doors has been formally ruled out," said a spokesman. Two-time Wimbledon mixed doubles champion Jamie Murray said he appreciated the difficulties.

"I don't know how long they could push it back," Murray, 34, told the BBC. "There's a lot of other stakeholders, a lot of other tournaments to consider. Even things like daylight for the tournament.

"Once the tournament gets put back, there's less and less daylight." What would be the financial implications of a cancelled Wimbledon? ===================================================== The tournament is an annual money-spinner. For example, in the 2017-2018 fiscal year, it was reported that Wimbledon generated $336 million with a pre-tax profit of $52 million. Over 90 per cent of that was ploughed into British tennis. The BBC, which broadcasts Wimbledon, will have a two-week black hole if the event is called off. They reportedly shell out around $72 million a year for the rights.

Who would be the losers of a cancelled Wimbledon? ================================================= - As well as the purely sporting implications of a binned Wimbledon, Britain's well-heeled would suffer a jolt to their busy summer social season. The Henley Royal Regatta on the River Thames, a feature since 1839, has already been cancelled.

Wary eyes will now be cast towards June's Royal Ascot, which has drawn British royalty and the cream of society since 1911. The British tabloids would also be stripped of their two-week Wimbledon headline bonanza and celebrity fix.

'Meghan Markle's Wimbledon hair is a look she rarely wears' or 'Meghan Markle's Wimbledon outfit draws backlash' were particular diversions in 2019. Also into cold storage will go the dependable, 'Game, sweat and match', dusted off every time the sun drives up the temperatures in London.

And farewell to the 'gruntometer', that notorious low-tech gadget employed by the red-tops to categorise the on-court Wimbledon shrieks and screams..

(This story has not been edited by Devdiscourse staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

Download The Devdiscourse News App for Latest News.


TRENDING

OPINION / BLOG / INTERVIEW

Coronavirus lockdowns to speed up long-pending revamping of supply chains

With millions of production lines impacted, business disruptions to some extent are unavoidable and the lessons learned from this turbulence will leave an everlasting impact on both global and local levels of supply chains....

COVID 19 to catalyze the redefinition of urban planning and sustainability

Until now the urban planning was focused on mitigation to natural disastrous, climate change, pollution, chronic illness and lifestyle diseases. However, the global pandemic of novel coronavirus is going to change the whole narrative of urb...

Ebola to COVID 19: Has Geopolitics prevailed over Professionalism in WHO

World Health Organization WHO is perceived as one of the most professional bodies of the United Nations. However, the role of WHO has come under question in handling outbreak two deadly diseases Ebola Viral Disease EVD and novel Coronaviru...

Trade War, COVID 19 and Beyond: How Pandemic is defining a New World Order

While we are confined in our homes, the world is changing faster than ever. Geopolitics in the time pandemic is defining a new world order. The transformation is happening in almost all the walks of life but the million-dollar question is ...

Videos

Latest News

COVID-19 lockdown: Delhi BJP issues helpline number for people facing problems

The Delhi BJP on Saturday issued a helpline number on which people can call if they require help during the ongoing lockdown to check the spread of the coronavirus. The party started the helpline number 8010066066 in collaboration with Seva...

Tihar Jail authority releases 400 inmates to decongest prisons

The Tihar Jail authority has released over 400 inmates to reduce overcrowding in prisons to prevent the spread of coronavirus, officials said on Saturday. According to a senior jail official, 356 inmates were released on bail, while 63 inm...

Combating COVID-19: Home Minister Amit Shah holds high-level meeting

Union Home Minister Amit Shah held a high-level meeting on Saturday over the coronavirus pandemic, which has infected over 900 people in the country so far. The government has also set up -- PM CARES Fund -- to deal with emergency or distre...

76 COVID-19 positive cases in Karnataka

Karnataka reported a total of 76 COVID-19 positive cases including 3 deaths, informed Karnataka government on Saturday. So far 76 COVID-19 positive cases have been confirmed in the state which includes 3 deaths and 5 discharges, said Karnat...

Give Feedback