Kenya president Uhuru Kenyatta said in a statement that 14 innocent people were killed and over 700 others had been evacuated to safety by security forces in Tuesday's attack on hotel complex and all the "terrorists" involved had been killed.
The attack on the upscale complex, by at least four gunmen, began shortly after 3 p.m. on Tuesday with an explosion in the parking lot and then a suicide bomb blast in the foyer of the dusitD2 hotel, police said.
Somali militant Islamist group al Shabaab claimed responsibility. Eleven Kenyans, an American and a Briton were among the casualties, morgue staff said. Two victims had not been identified.