Reuters Health News Summary
The World Health Organization has declared the outbreak of the rare Bundibugyo strain a public health emergency of international concern, and said the risk of a national epidemic in the Democratic Republic of Congo is "very high". Experimental treatments could help US Ebola patient The U.S. missionary who tested positive for Ebola and is undergoing treatment in a German hospital has been given drugs aimed at reducing disease symptoms after exposure to the virus and other therapies, U.S. health officials said on Friday.
Following is a summary of current health news briefs.
Novo Nordisk uses AI to fast-track drug launches, expand India role
Novo Nordisk is aiming to slash the time it takes to bring new drugs to market by up to two-thirds using AI, a top executive said, as the Danish drugmaker looks to regain momentum in the booming obesity drugs market. "Historically, from 'last patient, last visit' to first filing might have been a year and a half. What we're able to do now by implementing AI is bring that time down by months," John Dawber, managing director for global business services, told a Reuters summit on Friday.
Ebola case confirmed in rebel-held Congo area far from outbreak's epicentre
A case of Ebola has been confirmed in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo's South Kivu province, hundreds of kilometres from the outbreak's epicentre, the rebel alliance that controls the area said on Thursday. The case, in a rural area near the provincial capital Bukavu, signals the spread of an outbreak that experts believe circulated undetected for around two months in Ituri province, several hundred kilometres to the north, before being identified last week.
WHO Africa head warns against underestimating risk of Ebola spread
It would be a mistake to underestimate the risk posed by the Ebola outbreak, the WHO regional director for Africa said on Friday, warning that just one case could spread the virus beyond the Democratic Republic of Congo and Uganda. The outbreak has resulted in 160 suspected deaths out of 670 suspected cases, and 61 of the cases have been confirmed, according to DRC health ministry data published on Thursday. Two cases have also been confirmed in neighbouring Uganda.
Congo province bans funeral wakes to contain Ebola's spread
The eastern Democratic Republic of Congo province most affected by the country's Ebola outbreak banned funeral wakes on Friday, a day after residents clashed with police while trying to recover the body of a victim. The incident in Ituri province's Rwampara town recalled the hundreds of attacks on health facilities during eastern DRC's 2018-2020 outbreak and underscored the difficulty of imposing strict disease-control practices that conflict with local customs.
Indian drugmaker Torrent Pharma posts lower quarterly profit on acquisition costs
Indian drugmaker Torrent Pharmaceuticals reported a 21.9% fall in fourth-quarter profit on Friday, as acquisition-related costs from its deal with J.B. Chemicals and Pharmaceuticals offset strong revenue growth. Consolidated net profit fell to 3.89 billion rupees ($40.65 million) for the quarter ended March 31, from 4.98 billion rupees a year earlier
Volunteers go door-to-door in Congo to tackle Ebola rumors, Red Cross says
Volunteers are going door-to-door to combat misinformation about Ebola in the area at the centre of the outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo, the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) said on Friday. The Bundibugyo strain of Ebola, for which there is no approved vaccine or treatment, was declared an emergency of international concern by the World Health Organization on Sunday.
India's Sun Pharma posts profit beat on specialty drug demand, shares slide on cost pressures
Sun Pharmaceutical Industries' fourth-quarter profit edged past estimates, helped by robust demand for its specialty drugs, although increasing cost pressures squeezed margins and sent shares lower on Friday. The drugmaker's shares fell as much as 3.1% after results before closing 2.5% lower for the day.
Gilead's drug wins first-ever US approval for deadly liver infection
Gilead Sciences said on Friday that its experimental drug for a rare and deadly liver infection that had no approved treatment has won U.S. approval. Shares of the company were up over 2% in afternoon trading.
Factbox-Bundibugyo Ebola vaccines and treatments in development
Global health authorities are racing to identify medical options to help contain an Ebola outbreak in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo linked to the Bundibugyo strain of the virus.
Unlike the more common Zaire strain, there are no approved vaccines or treatments for Bundibugyo.
World Bank says responding to Ebola outbreak, plans to increase funding
The World Bank has dispatched staff and resources to the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo to respond to the Ebola outbreak, and is putting together a financing package to ensure more funding can be made available rapidly, a top bank official said. Monique Vledder, who heads the World Bank's global health department, told Reuters that the bank was also very concerned about neighboring states South Sudan and Burundi, which have weak healthcare response systems. Uganda, which has reported two Ebola cases, has a strong public health system but also faced some financing gaps, she added.
US extends Ebola travel ban to Green Card holders
The United States on Friday temporarily banned the entry of lawful permanent residents who have been in the Democratic Republic of Congo, Uganda or South Sudan in the previous 21 days, citing concerns over Ebola. U.S. citizens, nationals and green card holders had been exempt from a 30-day Ebola ban, but the U.S. CDC said on Friday that extending the ban to green card holders was necessary to stop the virus from entering the country.
CVC, GBL launch €10.7 billion bid for Italian drugmaker Recordati
Private equity firm CVC Capital Partners and Belgian investment group Groupe Bruxelles Lambert launched a €10.7 billion ($12.4 billion) cash bid for Recordati on Friday, aiming to take the Italian drugmaker private. Italy's fragmented pharmaceutical sector has seen a flurry of dealmaking in recent months as companies seek to scale up, with Angelini announcing a $4.1 billion acquisition of U.S.-listed Catalyst Pharmaceuticals and Chiesi buying U.S.-based KalVista Pharmaceuticals for about $2 billion.
Lantheus weighs potential $7 billion sale after Curium's offer, Bloomberg News reports
Radiopharmaceutical-focused company Lantheus Holdings is weighing a potential sale after getting a takeover offer from private-equity backed Curium Pharma that values it at about $7 billion, Bloomberg News reported on Friday. The two companies have been in discussions about a potential deal that could be weeks away, the report said, citing people familiar with the matter. No final decision has been made and there is no guarantee the talks will result in a transaction, the report said.
Congo Ebola outbreak cases are 'top of the iceberg', coalition says
A global vaccine coalition official said on Thursday that cases so far identified in the Congo Ebola outbreak represent just the top of the iceberg and it may be hard to develop a safe, effective vaccine within a target time of three months. The outbreak in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo encompasses 600 suspected cases and more than 130 suspected deaths so far, with the World Health Organization declaring it a public health emergency of international concern.
WHO raises risk of Ebola outbreak in Congo to 'very high' at national level
The World Health Organization has raised the risk of the Bundibugyo strain of Ebola turning into a national outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo to "very high". The strain, for which there is no approved vaccine or treatment, was declared an emergency of international concern by the WHO on Sunday.
Inside an African lab that helped crack the hantavirus outbreak
The call for help came in early May: a cruise ship off Cape Verde was stranded, with passengers suspected of infection by a deadly strain of hantavirus that kills about one in three of its victims. The vessel had stopped at several remote islands, and the World Health Organization needed answers. Could a biomedical research center in Senegal, an hour's flight away, support a team collecting specimens from suspected cases on board?
Uganda confirms three new Ebola cases, bringing total to five
Uganda has confirmed three new cases of Ebola, bringing the total number of infections in the current outbreak there to five, the health ministry said on Saturday, as authorities stepped up contact tracing to contain the spread. The World Health Organization has declared the outbreak of the rare Bundibugyo strain a public health emergency of international concern, and said the risk of a national epidemic in the Democratic Republic of Congo is "very high".
Experimental treatments could help US Ebola patient
The U.S. missionary who tested positive for Ebola and is undergoing treatment in a German hospital has been given drugs aimed at reducing disease symptoms after exposure to the virus and other therapies, U.S. health officials said on Friday. There are no vaccines or known drugs specifically approved to treat the rare Bundibugyo strain of Ebola in the Democratic Republic of Congo, which has infected almost 750 people and killed 177.
Acting head of US NIH infectious disease institute has left, senators say
The acting director of the U.S. NIH's infectious disease institute has stepped down, two Democratic senators said on Thursday during a Senate hearing, even as the United States scrambles to respond to Ebola and hantavirus outbreaks. Jeffery Taubenberger became acting director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases in April 2025 after President Donald Trump's administration pushed out the previous head.
Congo protesters set fire to Ebola treatment tents in dispute over victim's body
Protesters set fire to tents for Ebola patients after Congolese authorities refused to give them the dead body of a victim they wanted to bury themselves, a beloved local footballer suspected to have died in the ongoing outbreak, Reuters witnesses said. Police fired warning shots and tear gas to defuse the incident in Ituri province which highlighted the struggle that authorities in the Democratic Republic of Congo could face to enforce the safe burials of people with confirmed and suspected cases that are required to help contain the outbreak.
Early childhood screening for type 1 diabetes may be beneficial for patients
We also report on a large analysis that found little clinical anti-fracture benefit from vitamin D or calcium supplements, and a study that suggests insurers may be cutting off sleep apnea patients from their CPAP machines prematurely.
SCREEN ALL CHILDREN FOR TYPE 1 DIABETES, STUDY SUGGESTS
Families weigh moves with gender-affirming care access under assault in US
Confronted with Trump Administration threats to gender-affirming care for young transgender people, American families are weighing moves out of their states to gain access to needed healthcare, according to doctors, patients, policy experts and advocacy groups. Upon taking office for the second time, President Donald Trump issued an executive order aimed at limiting access to gender-affirming care for patients under age 19, building on legislation or rules in 27 mostly Republican-led states that restrict such care. The order has been temporarily blocked by a judge but the administration continues to push new bans.
Philippines to allow Spanish pork imports from regions free of swine fever
The Philippines will allow pork imports from parts of Spain unaffected by African swine fever (ASF), lifting a blanket ban imposed after Spain reported its first cases of the disease in more than three decades last year, the Spanish government said on Friday. Agriculture Minister Luis Planas said in a post on X that the Philippines was a strategic market for Spain.
Soccer-Ebola risk minimal for World Cup fans, logistics challenges remain
The risk of Ebola affecting fans at the World Cup is low, according to Dr Oliver Johnson, a global health academic at King's College London, but heightened screening and travel restrictions could complicate logistics. The expanded 48-team tournament, co-hosted by the United States, Canada and Mexico, runs from June 11 to July 19.
Red Cross mourns death of three volunteers from Ebola in Congo
The Red Cross on Saturday paid tribute to three volunteers who are believed to have died after contracting Ebola while handling bodies and are among the first known victims of the latest outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo. The Bundibugyo strain of Ebola, for which there is no approved vaccine or treatment, was declared an emergency of international concern by the World Health Organization on Sunday.
Google News