Mosques across Sri Lanka held Friday prayers with no untoward incident, authorities said. Last week, most mosques shunned Friday's prayers due to security fears whereas in some areas the Buddhist majority temples were offered as locations to conduct them.
Despite the mosques resumed Friday prayers, the Catholic community has cancelled this weekend's prayers at churches for fear of security. Malcolm Cardinal Ranjith, the Archbishop of Colombo, instructed on Thursday that no public mass will be held until further notice.
He cited foreign intelligence information on more attacks despite an assurance from the government that adequate security would be provided to conduct Sunday masses. Last Sunday, a televised mass was held at the Archbishop's House here with the country's top leaders in attendance.
The Ministry of Education is all set to resume schools on May 6. Education Minister Akila Viraj Kariyawasam said security would be provided at schools. The police warned not to park vehicles within close proximity to the schools. However, the Catholic church linked private Catholic schools said they would remain shut indefinitely.
(With inputs from agencies.)