Left Menu
Development News Edition

China launches new internet cleanup campaign; more websites blocked

Reuters | Beijing | Updated: 12-06-2019 20:25 IST | Created: 12-06-2019 20:15 IST
China launches new internet cleanup campaign; more websites blocked
Image Credit: Pixabay

China has launched a campaign to clean up its internet, state media said on Wednesday, amid a fresh wave of apparent censorship by authorities that has blocked more foreign media websites and shut down domestic accounts on social media.

The "rectification" effort was launched in May by the cyberspace administration, the information technology ministry, the public security bureau and the markets regulator and will run until the end of the year, the official Xinhua news agency said. The campaign will punish and expose websites for "illegal and criminal actions", failing to "fulfil their obligation" to take safety measures or the theft of personal information, it added.

The campaign follows a series of shutdowns and blockages of certain websites and social media accounts. Several foreign media beyond Beijing's control, such as the Washington Post and The Guardian, have not been accessible online since last weekend, adding to a list of blocked sites that includes Reuters.

Online Chinese financial news publication Wallstreetcn.com said on Monday it took its website and mobile app offline at the authorities' request but gave no details of the rules it may have broken. Social media accounts ranging from those publishing politically sensitive material to financial news have also been shut.

Authorities said in November they shut 9,800 accounts of news providers deemed to be posting sensational, vulgar or politically harmful content. The Chinese internet regulator's Shanghai office said in a statement on Wednesday that it and the markets regulator's Shanghai office summoned representatives from Baidu Inc and criticised the firm for unethical advertising using vulgar content or overly sensational titles.

The authorities ordered the search engine operator to rectify its advertising business to eliminate such practices, according to the statement, which quoted a Baidu representative as saying the firm would make necessary changes. When asked for comment, a Baidu representative referred to the remarks in the statement without commenting further.

In recent years, China has regularly campaigned to police its internet, shutting down websites, social media accounts and mobile apps. "The cleaning drives are not purely political. Many, possibly even most, of those accounts were probably spam, porn or other types of content that the platforms have made clear are undesirable and unwelcome," said Fergus Ryan, an analyst with the Australian Strategic Policy Institute.

"The problem is that in among those legitimate removals are accounts that are removed for political reasons." Shimin Fang, a popular science writer who drew public scrutiny in China for critical comments about telecommunications giant Huawei Technologies Co, said he found out on Tuesday all of his Chinese social media accounts had been taken down.

Fang, who lives in the United States, said he did not know what had happened until some readers told him they could no longer find his postings and that the platform operators would not tell him why his accounts were shut down. "My guess is that from now on any influential self-media accounts will not be allowed to exist, no matter (if) they are political or not," Fang told Reuters in an email.

The term "self-media" is mostly used on Chinese social media to describe independent news accounts that produce original content but are not officially registered with the authorities. "The Chinese internet winter is coming," Fang said.


TRENDING

OPINION / BLOG / INTERVIEW

Uganda COVID-19 response: Was off to a good start but reopening dwindled prospects

Uganda has shown success in using health information to enhance efficiency of disease surveillance, reporting and monitoring. The success, however, has critical challenges confronting it as the country resumes normal activities....

New farm bills in India: Focusing on farms or farmers?

... ...

Kenya’s COVID-19 response: Chaos amid lack of information

Confusing numbers and scanty information on how effective curfews and lockdowns have been in breaking transmission have amplified coordination and planning challenges in Kenyas response to COVID-19. Without accurate data, it is impossible t...

Farkhad Akhmedov: Calculating the price of impunity from the law

In insistences such as the battle over the Luna, Akhmedov has resorted to extreme legal machinations to subvert the High Courts decision and keep his assets from being seized. ...

Videos

Latest News

Everyone is free to decide which party they want to join: Sachin Pilot on Scindia being termed as 'Gaddar'

Reacting to Congress leaders terming BJP leader Jyotiraditya Scindia as Gadda traitor, Congress leader and former Deputy Chief Minister Sachin Pilot on Wednesday said that everyone is free to decide which party they want to be in and the pu...

S.Africa's Ramaphosa self-isolates after dinner guest gets COVID-19

South African President Cyril Ramaphosa has gone into quarantine after a guest at a charity dinner he attended tested positive for COVID-19, his office said on Wednesday. Africas most advanced economy has been the continents worst hit, with...

Test to allow Japanese visitors to bypass Hawaii quarantine

Starting next week, Hawaii will begin allowing visitors from Japan to bypass the states 14-day quarantine requirement if they test negative for COVID-19. But Japanese travellers will still have to spend two weeks in quarantine upon returnin...

People of Bihar have decided to once again defeat those responsible for 'jungle raj': PM Narendra Modi's in attack on RJD-Cong combine.

People of Bihar have decided to once again defeat those responsible for jungle raj PM Narendra Modis in attack on RJD-Cong combine....

Give Feedback