International Development News
Development News Edition

UPDATE 1-Pompeo says U.S. committed to Afghan peace after deadly explosions


UPDATE 1-Pompeo says U.S. committed to Afghan peace after deadly explosions
The explosives that went off during Friday prayers were placed inside the mosque in the Jawdara area of the Haska Mena district. Image Credit: ANI

U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on Saturday Washington remained committed to peace and stability in Afghanistan as police searched for bodies in the rubble of a mosque in eastern Nangarhar province where bomb blasts killed at least 69 people.

The explosives that went off during Friday prayers were placed inside the mosque in the Jawdara area of the Haska Mena district. On Friday, local officials had reported the number of dead at 62 and around 50 wounded. "The United States remains committed to peace and stability in Afghanistan, and will continue to fight against terrorism," Pompeo said in a statement. "We stand by the people of Afghanistan who only want peace and a future free from these abhorrent acts of violence."

Sohrab Qaderi, a member of Nangarhar's provincial council, said the mosque, with a capacity of more than 150 worshippers at a time, was full of people when the bombs exploded. "Bodies of 69 people, including children and elders, have been handed to their relatives," Qaderi said, adding that more bodies could be lying under the rubble.

No group has claimed responsibility but the government blamed Taliban insurgents, who are fighting to reimpose strict Islamic law after they were ousted from power in 2001 by U.S.-led forces. Suhail Shaheen, a spokesman for the Taliban, denied the group was responsible. In a tweet, he said that witnesses to the attack said it was a mortar attack by government forces.

One of the wounded, Gulabistan, 45, said the mosque was full when the explosion happened. "Mullah already started prayers and reciting verses of Holy Koran, when a huge boom happened, then all around me it got dark, the only thing I remember is females' voices and then I found myself in the hospital," Gulabistan said.

He said he had been told his son was among the dead while his brother and two nephews had been wounded and were in the hospital. A Reuters reporter saw 67 freshly excavated graves for the victims in Jawdara village.

The European Union said the attack aimed to undermine hopes for peace and reconciliation in Afghanistan. The Taliban and Islamic State fighters are actively operating in parts of Nangarhar, which shares a border with Pakistan in the east.

A United Nations report this week said 4,313 civilians were killed and wounded in Afghanistan's war between July and September.

(This story has not been edited by Devdiscourse staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)


TRENDING

OPINION/BLOG/INTERVIEW

'No escape from telephones', this 1953 prediction actually comes true

In 1953, a telephone company chief predicted that therell be no escape from telephones in the future....

With Ayodhya verdict, CJI starts clearing high profile pending cases

Ending all the speculations, the Chief Justice of India Mr. Ranjan Gogoi who is due to retire on November 17 decided to deliver the verdict in Ayodya dispute at 10.30 am on Saturday which is not a working day for the Supreme Court. This is ...

How partnerships and collaborations could enhance teacher training

Monica Malhotra Kandhari, Managing Director, MBD Group shares her views on public private partnership and collaborations in education sector. She supports her propositions with her organisations success stories....

Fixed Test centers would facelift level of WTC in India

The venues for the test matches in India should be fixed so that World Test Championship matches remain fair....

Videos

Latest News

2017 North Korean nuke test equal to '17 Hiroshimas': ISRO study

The 2017 nuclear test by North Korea shifted the ground by a few metres, and was 17 times more powerful than the bomb dropped on the Japanese city of Hiroshima in 1945, according to scientists from the Indian Space Research Organisation ISR...

Turkish investor acquires Russia's Intourist from Thomas Cook

Moscow, Nov 15 AFP A Turkish investor has acquired Intourist, one of Russias largest tour operators and former Soviet monopolist, from collapsed travel group Thomas Cook Group, the Russian company said Friday. Neset Cockar, the second large...

Turkey detains 4 elected mayors on terror charges

Ankara Turkey, Nov 15 AP Turkeys state-run news agency says police have detained four mayors over their suspected links to Kurdish rebels, as part of an ongoing crackdown on the countrys pro-Kurdish party. Anadolu Agency said the mayors of ...

Branko Lustig, producer of 'Schindler's List' and 'Gladiator', dead

Branko Lustig, producer of Hollywood classics such as Schindlers List and Gladiator, has passed away. He was 87. The news of his demise was shared on the official website of Festival of Tolerance, where Lustig served as president since 2008...

Give Feedback