Officials from the two countries announced on Tuesday that some of the 720,000 Muslim Rohingya who fled a deadly military clampdown in the Buddhist-majority country last year would start returning next month.
Myanmar foreign secretary Myint Thu visited the camps in Cox's Bazar on Wednesday to discuss the repatriations with refugees.
Most repeated demands that they are given Myanmar nationality with full rights before they return.
"From that 5,000, the first batch will be about 2,000 people. And then a second batch will follow. So in mid-November, we will receive the first batch," Thu told reporters.
Bangladesh officials said a new list of 24,342 Rohingya names was handed over in talks this week.
But Rohingya representatives expressed strong doubts about going back despite the announcement.
"We would rather die in the camp in Bangladesh. We will not return without any guarantee of citizenship or fully restored rights," Abdul Hakim, one refugee from Myanmar's Rakhine state, told AFP.
Oxfam spokesperson Rachael Reilly said the refugees "want to see justice served and an end to the violence and discrimination that have caused this crisis".
The 720,000 joined about 300,000 who fled earlier violence in Myanmar, where the Rohingya are refused citizenship and rights. Many brought harrowing tales of rape, murder and burning of villages.
The two neighbours first announced a large-scale repatriation plan in November 2017. But it has failed to advance, with each government blaming the other.
(With inputs from agencies.)