Why govt has not renounced 'anti-people' Indo-US deal: Cong on Rubio's remarks
The Congress has attacked Prime Minister Narendra Modi over a US-India trade deal, questioning the government's decision to increase imports despite calls to conserve foreign exchange.
- Country:
- India
The Congress on Sunday attacked Prime Minister Narendra Modi over US Secretary of State Marco Rubio's statement that India has ''committed to purchasing USD 500 billion'' in American goods over the next five years, accusing him of going the extra mile to appease his ''good friend'' and asked why the government had not renounced the ''anti-people'' Indo-US trade deal.
Congress general secretary in charge of communications, Jairam Ramesh, also questioned why the Modi government had ''agreed'' to increase imports when the prime minister had asked citizens to cut down on domestic fuel consumption and overseas travel to save foreign exchange.
Will this surge in imports not further cause the rupee to depreciate, he asked.
In a post on X, Rubio, who is on a four-day visit to India, said, ''Huge thanks to US Ambassador in India Sergio Gor and our American diplomats for their efforts. Because of their great work, India has committed to purchasing USD 500 billion in US goods over the next five years, focusing on energy, technology, and agriculture.
''They're doing terrific work on behalf of President Trump and the American people!''.
Ramesh said it was Rubio who first made the announcement of the ceasefire that brought Operation Sindoor to an unexpected halt, and he was also the first to announce that the President of Venezuela would be visiting India next week.
''Why is all the communication on Indian foreign policy -- from the Operation Sindoor ceasefire and the halting of Russian oil and gas imports, to the Indo-US trade deal and the visit of the Venezuelan President -- now coming first from Washington DC instead of New Delhi?'' the Congress general secretary said.
''Today, Mr Rubio has once again shocked the country by making a statement on X that the Modi Government has committed to purchasing USD 500 billion in U.S. goods over the next five years, focusing on energy, technology, and agriculture,'' Ramesh said.
India's yearly imports are USD 52.9 billion as of FY26, and Rubio's statement implies that India will have to double its annual imports from the US, he said.
''We have five straight questions for the Prime Minister on this new development -- Countries like Malaysia have declared their trade agreements with the US 'null and void' after the US Supreme Court ruling, which struck down the Trump tariffs that formed the backdrop to these agreements.
''The logic of this deal has now collapsed after the US Supreme Court's verdict striking down the tariffs. Why has the Modi Government not had the courage to renounce this anti-people, dangerous trade deal like Malaysia and other countries have?'' Ramesh said.
He pointed out that the prime minister himself urged citizens to reduce fuel consumption and overseas travel to save foreign exchange.
''Why has the Modi Government simultaneously agreed to record imports from the US at the same time?'' he asked.
Ramesh said the Indian rupee has lost 12 per cent of its value against the US dollar over the past 12 months. Will this surge in imports from the US not further cause the rupee to depreciate, he said.
''Last week, the Trump administration dismissed the criminal fraud charges against Mr Adani in the solar energy scam where Mr Adani reportedly paid bribes for USD 265 million. Is Mr Modi's capitulation to the US on imports linked to the relief provided to the Modani empire by Mr Trump?'' he said.
Why have the prime minister and Foreign Affairs Minister S Jaishankar ''renounced their responsibility'' to communicate to the Indian people and to the world the foreign policy, Ramesh said.
''It appears that the compromised prime minister is keen on going the extra mile to appease and please his good friend,'' the Congress leader alleged.
Rubio, who met Modi shortly after landing in New Delhi on Saturday, invited the prime minister on behalf of President Donald Trump to visit the White House in the ''near future''.
Among other things, Modi and Rubio reflected on bilateral achievements including significant investments that advance the President and the Prime Minister's ''Mission 500'' to double trade by 2030, US State Department Spokesperson Tommy Pigott had said.
On Sunday, Rubio held talks with Jaishankar here and said India and the US are poised to soon firm up the much-awaited trade agreement that will be both ''beneficial'' and ''sustainable'' and will advance the mutual interests of both nations.
He asserted that the overall bilateral ties are set to witness an upward trajectory.
ALSO READ
-
WRAPUP 7-Trump says no rush for Iran deal, US blockade stays
-
Netanyahu says Trump agrees Iran deal must remove nuclear threat
-
Peace deal talks proceeding in constructive manner: Trump
-
Trump says Iran blockade stays until deal is signed
-
Netanyahu told Trump Israel will remain free to act against threats, Israeli source says
Google News