Fire breaks out at Eco Retreat facility in Odisha

A major fire broke out at the Eco Retreat facility at Satkosia Wildlife Sanctuary in Odishas Angul district on Sunday, official sources said.There was no injury or loss of life in the fire incident, the tourism department said in its twitter post, adding that safety of tourists was paramount and steps will be taken to ensure that no recurrence of such an incident happens in future.Three tents were burnt to ashes in the fire.Though the reason behind the outbreak of fire was yet to be ascertained, it is suspected that an electrical short circuit might have led to the mishap.

PTI | Bhubaneswar | Updated: 28-02-2021 12:02 IST | Created: 28-02-2021 11:56 IST
Fire breaks out at Eco Retreat facility in Odisha
Representative Image Image Credit: ANI

A major fire broke out at the Eco Retreat facility at Satkosia Wildlife Sanctuary in Odisha's Angul district on Sunday, official sources said.

There was no injury or loss of life in the fire incident, the tourism department said in its twitter post, adding that safety of tourists was paramount and steps will be taken to ensure that no recurrence of such an incident happens in future.

Three tents were burnt to ashes in the fire.

Though the reason behind the outbreak of fire was yet to be ascertained, it is suspected that an electrical short circuit might have led to the mishap. By the time, fire services personnel reached the spot, the blaze had already engulfed the tents, an official said.

The Tourism Department said a probe into the matter is being conducted. Steps will be taken to ensure that no recurrence of such an incident happens in future, it said.

Odisha Transport Commissioner Sanjeeb Panda and his wife Santosh Bala, Special Secretary of Home Department, who were staying in one of the cottages at the Eco Retreat camps had a narrow escape early this morning.

''By the grace of God, me and Santosh escaped without any injury as fire broke out in our tent at Satkosia Eco Retreat at about 5 am,'' Panda wrote in a social media post.

In a video clip posted by Panda in the twitter, his wife Santosh was heard saying: ''It was so inflammable that we thought we will douse it, Sanjeeb and me rushed out of the tent. By the time we went inside, it (fire) was at high intensity. We could not bring anything out. I would have got burnt had I been on the upper side of the tent.'' PTI AAM RG RG

(This story has not been edited by Devdiscourse staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)


TRENDING

OPINION / BLOG / INTERVIEW

Tracking Fintech during COVID-19: Harnessing power of technology

Its abundantly clear now that as fintech cements its place in the financial sector, accelerated further by the COVID-19 pandemic, it could open the sector to new possibilities by harnessing the power of technology to deliver financial ...

Tectonic turns: How technology shaped healthcare over the decades

Tracing an episodic evolution, with technology at the interface of human and his health....

World Water Day sees crises of inequality in countries both rich and poor

... ...

Privacy and data protection: Reviewing notable policy frameworks

The evolved privacy principles and the resulting legislation across the world primarily aim to force the data collector to define the purpose for which the data is being collected along with the need to obtain explicit consent for the said ...

Videos

Latest News

Indonesia quake kills 7 in Java, jolts Bali; no tsunami risk

A strong earthquake killed at least seven people, injured 12 others and damaged more than 300 buildings on Indonesias main island of Java and shook the tourist hotspot of Bali, officials said Saturday. No tsunami warnings were posted.The U....

10 killed, 40 hurt as truck falls into gorge in UP's Etawah

Ten people were killed and 40 injured as a truck on which they were travelling fell into a 30-foot-deep gorge in UPs Etawah district on Saturday, police said. The incident took place in the Barhpura police station area after the driver of t...

Pharmacist held while taking Rs 25,000 bribe in Bundi

A pharmacist posted at a government hospitals cooperative medicine wholesale store in Bundi was on Saturday arrested while taking a bribe of Rs 25,000 from a medical representative for clearing bills of his firm.Accused Inderraj Bairwa, a c...

More Black Americans open to vaccines after outreach efforts

Like others in her family, Mattie Pringle had doubts about taking the coronavirus vaccine.The 57-year-old Black woman from Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, feared that her high blood pressure and diabetes might heighten her chances of a severe...

Give Feedback