Left Menu
Development News Edition

Rugby-Big blow for Rugby Championship as South Africa withdraw

South African Rugby said on Friday it had pulled out over "player welfare" concerns with the defending champions having less time to prepare than New Zealand and hosts Australia, who completed domestic tournaments weeks ago and opened their test season last weekend. The annual test tournament, which also features Argentina, was already delayed by the COVID-19 pandemic and is being staged in one country for the first time.

Reuters | Updated: 16-10-2020 09:02 IST | Created: 16-10-2020 09:02 IST
Rugby-Big blow for Rugby Championship as South Africa withdraw

World champions South Africa will not take part in the Rugby Championship in a decision that leaves the tournament greatly diminished two weeks before kick-off and southern hemisphere rugby facing an uncertain future. South African Rugby said on Friday it had pulled out over "player welfare" concerns with the defending champions having less time to prepare than New Zealand and hosts Australia, who completed domestic tournaments weeks ago and opened their test season last weekend.

The annual test tournament, which also features Argentina, was already delayed by the COVID-19 pandemic and is being staged in one country for the first time. "This is a hugely disappointing outcome for supporters and commercial partners but the on-going impacts of the pandemic ... mean we are unable to deliver a Springbok team without seriously compromising player welfare, apart from other logistical challenges," SARU Chief Executive Jurie Roux said in a statement with governing body SANZAAR.

The Championship will now consist of six tests starting with the third Bledisloe Cup clash between the hosts and New Zealand in Sydney on Oct. 31. It will be the first time since 1994 that South Africa will pass a year without playing both Australia and New Zealand.

The three nations launched the Tri-Nations in 1996 and welcomed Argentina into the fold in the rebranded Rugby Championship in 2012. "Naturally, it is extremely disappointing that the Springboks, due to the continued complexities of operating in and around this COVID environment, cannot fully compete in the previously planned six-round Rugby Championship," SANZAAR chief executive Andy Marinos said.

FINANCIAL CHALLENGES South Africa's withdrawal will mean a big hit to the tournament's revenue at a time when the participating nations are battling financial challenges brought by the pandemic.

The reduction in matches may also create tensions with broadcasters, who expected a full competition and could seek to renegotiate terms. Rugby Australia, in particular, are under pressure as they look to land a new TV rights deal for 2021 and beyond but more broadly the decision raises concerns about the long-term future of southern hemisphere rugby.

South Africa have long considered the idea of throwing in with the northern hemisphere due to the lucrative European TV market, easier logistics and a more favourable time-zone. Less than three weeks ago SARU voted to pull its four major franchises from Super Rugby and explore expanding their presence in the European PRO14 competition.

South Africa's Cheetahs and Southern Kings have played in the PRO14 since 2017. Northern hemisphere nations are scheduled to play in the new eight-team Autumn Nations Cup in Europe in November, with the 2021 Six Nations to start in February.

South Africa, however, face going into the British & Irish Lions series on home soil next July without playing a test since their victory in last year's World Cup final in Japan. Wallabies coach Dave Rennie said the Springboks' absence was disappointing for the competition and for his players.

"If they're not coming, obviously there are less games and less opportunity for some of our young guys to get a taste of Springbok footy," he told reporters. "It's been a challenging year. Again we're going to have make changes and adjust."

Argentina, most of whose players have had no match preparation in the leadup, are already training in a bio-secure hub in Sydney. The Pumas arrived after several players and staff, including coach Mario Ledesma, tested positive for COVID-19 during a preparatory camp at home.

(Additional reporting by Nick Mulvenney, editing by Peter Rutherford)


TRENDING

OPINION / BLOG / INTERVIEW

Turbulence surrounding tobacco control in Ghana

... ...

Smart healthcare: IoT redefining the way healthcare is delivered

As the world is embracing the new wave of digitalization triggered by the pandemic and the arrival of 5G, the adoption of IoT devices will further boom. With adoption set to soar, IoT security issues and other challenges cant be ignored any...

Refugee compassion and response: Ideas to mitigate disasters now and in their future

Their homeland becomes a forbidden territory for them and more likely than not, their journey to foreign soil is no less traumatizing, not to say deadly. It is crucial to help refugees live a life of dignity and purpose....

Inadequate water infrastructure causes a tidal wave of coronavirus in rural Alaska

... ...

Videos

Latest News

DC sets 'Super Sons' digital series

In a move to continue its digital offerings, DC has announced Challenge of the Super Sons, a new digital series teaming Jon Kent and Damian Wayne for a new weekly mini-series launching December. According to The Hollywood Reporter, although...

Indonesian fisheries minister arrested by anti-graft agency

Anti-graft officials arrested Indonesias minister for maritime affairs and fisheries, Edhy Prabowo, early on Wednesday, an agency spokesman said, without giving a reason for the detention.The minister was among several people held and could...

China weighs legal steps against 'diehard' supporters of Taiwan independence

China is considering drawing up a blacklist of diehard supporters of Taiwans independence, the government said on Wednesday, which may see Beijing try to take legal steps against democratically-elected President Tsai Ing-wen. Taiwan condemn...

Hong Kong's Lam says restoring 'political system from chaos' is priority

Hong Kong Chief Executive Carrie Lam said on Wednesday the governments urgent priority was to restore the Chinese-ruled citys constitutional order and its political system from chaos.Lam was delivering her annual policy address in the semi ...

Give Feedback