Trump planning to withdraw ground forces from Syria amid easing tensions
US President Donald Trump is planning a "full" and "rapid" withdrawal of American troops from Syria, CNN reported on Wednesday citing a defence official. The decision would be a reversal from previously stated US policy. Trump had promised earlier this year to pull American troops out of Syria "very soon".
According to the report, even though the US will continue to maintain troops in Iraq with the capability of launching strikes into Syria, its withdrawal of ground forces would fulfil a major goal of Syria, Iran and Russia and risk diminishing America's influence in the region.
The US-led coalition recently denied any change to the US presence in Syria. "Any reports indicating a change in the US position with respect" to the American military presence in Syria "is false and designed to sow confusion and chaos," the coalition said in a statement earlier this month.
General Joseph Dunford, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, had said that the US needed to train thousands of local fighters to ensure a lasting defeat of the terror group.
(With inputs from agencies.)
- IndiGo seeks relaxation of rules over rupee transactions on-board international flight
- Rohit Sharma becomes highest run-getter in Twenty20 Internationals
- Marriott International announces three new deal signings across Africa
- ADB raises $100 mln from issue of local currency bonds in international market
- Venezuelan President open to dialogue with EU backed International Contact Group