Left Menu
Development News Edition

Malaysia says earlier govt allowed cost inflation for Chinese projects

Devdiscourse News Desk | Kualalumpur | Updated: 15-04-2019 16:50 IST | Created: 15-04-2019 16:07 IST
Malaysia says earlier govt allowed cost inflation for Chinese projects
Mahathir said Monday the government chose to renegotiate the deal rather than pay compensation of 21.78 billion ringgit (USD 5.3 billion). Image Credit: Wikimedia

Malaysia's prime minister said Monday a Chinese company building a rail link across the Southeast Asian nation will jointly help to manage and operate the network, part of the revised deal that will get the stalled project off the ground at a lower cost and ease strained relations. The East Coast Rail Link across peninsular Malaysia was suspended after Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad's alliance swept into power last May and said it would review large-scale infrastructure projects to rein in a surging national debt that it blamed mostly on corruption in the previous government.

Cancelling the project risked alienating China, Malaysia's largest trading partner, which considered the railway connecting Malaysia's west coast to eastern rural states a key part of its Belt and Road infrastructure initiative. The project was revived last week after the contractor, state-owned China Communications Construction Company Ltd., agreed to cut the cost by one-third to 44 billion ringgit (USD 10.7 billion).

Mahathir said Monday the government chose to renegotiate the deal rather than pay compensation of 21.78 billion ringgit (USD 5.3 billion). He said the fact that the project cost can be reduced sharply by 21.5 billion ringgit (USD 5.2 billion) showed that the cost had been inflated when former Prime Minister Najib Razak's government awarded the main contract to CCCC in 2016.

The rail project will now cost 68.7 million ringgit (USD 16.7 million) per kilometre, down from 95.5 million ringgit (USD 23.2 million) previously, he said. Under the new deal, Mahathir said CCCC will form a 50:50 joint venture company with Malaysia Rail Link to provide technical support and share the operational risk.

He said CCCC's involvement as a rail operator will help attract Chinese investment along the rail link corridor. CCCC has also agreed to refund part of a 3.1 billion ringgit ($753.4 million) advance payment, with 1 billion ringgit (USD 243 million) to be paid over the next two months, he said.

Although the rail project will be shortened by 40 kilometres (24.8 miles) to 648 kilometres (402.6 miles), he said the double-track line will have 20 stations and cut through five states, instead of four previously. He said the new alignment will also mean avoiding having to tunnel through a mountain range in central Selangor state, which is the longest pure quartz dyke in the world.

The project, which is now slated for completion by the end of 2026 instead of 2024, is largely financed by China. Mahathir said the government is still negotiating the loan amount with China's EXIM Bank but that it will be reduced substantially and this will result in paying less in interest on the loan.

He said the government is also "taking advantage of the agreement to work out the purchase of palm oil by China," but didn't give further details. Officials said work on the rail link could resume by next month.

Apart from the rail link, Mahathir's government last year also cancelled two China-backed pipelines costing 9.3 billion ringgit (USD 2.3 billion) after discovering that 90 per cent of the project's costs had been paid but only 13 per cent of work had been completed. The government has said it is investigating whether any money in the rail project had been channelled by Najib's government to repay debts at the 1MDB state investment fund.

A massive financial scandal at 1MDB led to the election loss of Najib's coalition last May and Najib is currently on trial for multiple corruption charges linked to 1MDB.

(With inputs from agencies.)

Download The Devdiscourse News App for Latest News.


TRENDING

OPINION / BLOG / INTERVIEW

Diya Jalao for COVID 19: How Modi put Power Grids and power warriors at risk?

While Prime Minister Narendra Modis staunch supporters are busy in search of hidden science behind the sudden announcement of 9minutes9pm campaign but his ignorance of the actual science has put the nation in another danger. The scientists ...

Energy markets post-COVID 19: Recovery may take time, transition to continue

As oil markets have crashed, the experts believe the oil prices will come down drastically and continue making the energy transition a financial burden for many economies for a couple of years.  However, the market alone was never...

'Diya jalao' for COVID 19: Modi needs to practice his teachings and control fake news on social media

In his video message to the nation on Friday the Prime Minister talks about peoples collective power to win the invincible. However, he has made no concreate efforts to win over the confidence and represent the collective power of the polit...

Tourism post-COVID 19: Lessons learned, out-of-box strategies to ensure the revival

In the pre-COVID 19 period the tourism industry was seen with much hope throughout the world. However, the COVID 19 pandemic has completely paralysed the tourism industry and its dependent sectors. The tourism industry in the post-COVID 19 ...

Videos

Latest News

2-yr-old coronavirus patient gets 'surprise gift' on birthday at Punjab hospital

A coronavirus positive child, who turned two on Saturday, got a surprise gift from the staff of Punjabs Nawanshahr civil hospital where he is admitted, officials said here. The two-year-old boy and his mother, who has also tested positive f...

8 more COVID-19 cases in Noida, count in district reaches 58

Noida city of Gautam Buddh Nagar district has reported eight new COVID-19 cases in the last 24 hours, taking the tally in the district to 58. According to officials, four people were found positive in the JJ Colony of Sector 5 of the city, ...

3 more COVID-19 cases in Madhya Pradesh

Three more COVID-19 cases have been reported from the Sendhwa area of Barwani district, a state health official informed. The Block Medical Officer further told ANI that the three victims fell prey to COVID-19 after coming in contact with a...

3 more tests positive for COVID-19 in Agra, tally 48

Three more people tested positive for COVID-19 in Agra, taking the total number of positive cases in the district to 48, District Magistrate Prabhu N Singh said.These new coronavirus patients are contacts of people, who had earlier tested p...

Give Feedback