Government Raises Concerns Over Recruitment and Deaths of Indians in Russian Armed Forces

The Indian government has reported eight deaths of citizens in the Russian armed forces and is seeking the early discharge of involved Indian nationals. Financial aid and compensation have been arranged. Prime Minister Modi and the Ministry of External Affairs have strongly demanded the cessation of recruitment of Indian nationals into the Russian Army.


Devdiscourse News Desk | New Delhi | Updated: 01-08-2024 17:30 IST | Created: 01-08-2024 17:30 IST
Government Raises Concerns Over Recruitment and Deaths of Indians in Russian Armed Forces
AI Generated Representative Image
  • Country:
  • India

Eight Indians serving in the Russian armed forces have died, according to a statement in Rajya Sabha on Thursday.

Minister of State for External Affairs Kirti Vardhan Singh noted that 12 Indian nationals have already exited the Russian armed forces, while another 63 are seeking early discharge.

''Eight fatalities have been confirmed among Indian citizens currently serving,'' Singh said.

The government has also been approached for the early discharge of some Indian nationals purportedly recruited under unclear conditions, Singh added, without specifying the exact number.

''So far, information suggests that 12 Indian nationals have left the Russian armed forces, with another 63 requesting early release,'' he said.

The Indian government has funded the transportation of the mortal remains of four deceased nationals to India and stands ready to provide further assistance as needed.

''Furthermore, the Russian government has assured that it will provide compensation to the families of the deceased as per the signed contracts,'' stated Singh.

The Indian government has vigorously pursued the early release, safety, and well-being of Indian nationals in the Russian military with relevant Russian authorities.

''Prime Minister Narendra Modi reiterated the urgent need for the early release of all Indian nationals in the Russian armed forces during his July visit to Russia,'' Singh said.

In June, the Ministry of External Affairs labeled the issue of Indian nationals serving in the Russian Army a matter of ''utmost concern'' and called for action from Moscow.

On June 11, India reported the deaths of two Indian nationals recruited by the Russian Army amid the ongoing Russia-Ukraine conflict.

Following these deaths, the MEA demanded a ''verified stop'' to further recruitment of Indian nationals by the Russian Army.

In a strongly-worded statement, it said India demanded the cessation of any further recruitment efforts and indicated that such activities would strain their bilateral partnership.

(With inputs from agencies.)

Give Feedback