SC directs Center to file affidavit on steps taken to appoint Lokpal
The bench of Chief Justice Ranjan Gogoi and Justice Sanjay Kishan Kaul asked the Attorney General K.K. Venugopal to ensure that the steps taken to date are brought on record through an affidavit to be filed within two weeks. "Much time has lapsed, something needs to be done", the bench observed.
Directing that all details be put on record, the court fixed January 17 for considering the matter again. "No, no note. File an affidavit," Chief Justice Gogoi told Attorney General who sought to pass on a note to the bench carrying the details of the steps taken by the government in the process of appointing Lokpal.
In the last hearing on July 24, the court had declined to accept the affidavit filed by the Secretary (Personnel), DoPT describing it "wholly unsatisfactory" and had directed the filing of a "better affidavit giving full particulars" of the steps being taken for setting up a search committee for suggesting probable names for Lokpal.
(With inputs from agencies.)
- Centre had taken permission of high-powered committee to appoint M Nageswara Rao as interim CBI director: Attorney general to SC.
- Impactful steps taken to reduce tax, bring benefits for
- People with sleep apnoea struggle to recall details from past: Research
- Goyal highlights steps taken to fuel growth in MSME sector
- Fernandes' ashes buried in Delhi cemetery; part of remains to be taken to Bengaluru: family