Left Menu
Development News Edition

US woman upset over HC granting bail to rape convict, releases video

PTI | New Delhi | Updated: 04-08-2019 15:52 IST | Created: 04-08-2019 15:10 IST
US woman upset over HC granting bail to rape convict, releases video
Image Credit: Flickr

The Delhi High Court has granted bail and suspended the seven years' sentence awarded to a man for digitally raping an American woman who recently shot a video outside the Indian Consulate in San Francisco, alleging that she was denied assistance there. The incident dates back to 2013, when Delhi resident Rajiv Panwar sexually assaulted the US national who was staying as a tenant in his house in South Delhi with her husband. She filed a complaint against him in June 2013 and Panwar was convicted of rape by a trial court here in February 2019. He was sentenced to seven years' imprisonment.

When someone rapes a person using their finger or fingers it is termed as digital rape. Panwar challenged the trial court's verdict in the high court which, on July 5, granted him bail on furnishing a personal bond of Rs 25,000 and said as the disposal of the appeal may take some time, the substantive sentence of the appellant is suspended during the pendency of the plea.

Upset with the high court's order, the woman shot a video in front of the Indian Consulate in San Francisco, complaining that the man who attacked her in India has been granted bail. In the video, the woman said, "Last month I was notified that the man who viciously attacked me, who I had to fight to make sure he was convicted of his crime and he was sentenced in India, has been given bail on his appeal."

She further gave details of the unfortunate incident of 2013 and added "you don't give bail to convicted criminals that are sentenced". "I come here to the San Francisco consulate, where I need to have these forms notarised so that (Delhi) high court knows who my attorney is and I am on board, and I am again denied service and assistance from the consulate in India, now San Francisco they tell me now that I need to go and get it notarised locally then have to go to Sacramento and get the notary verified," she said in the video.

Justice Chander Shekhar of the high court, while suspending the sentence, said the man has spent over five months in custody. Advocate Karuna Nandy, representing the woman, submitted that Panwar should not be allowed to leave the National Capital Region (NCR) without the permission of the court and the appeal may be heard expeditiously.

The court said it finds force in the contention of the woman's counsel and directed that the man shall not leave the NCR without its permission. It also directed Panwar not to contact or get in touch with the complainant woman in any manner and if he does so, she or the prosecution may move an appropriate application for the passing of the appropriate and necessary orders in this regard.

An application was also filed on behalf of the woman that she be impleaded as a party in the appeal. To this, the high court said the proceedings have been launched by the state government on the complaint of the woman who was not a party before the trial court.

It said the woman was not required to be impleaded as a party in the appeal but she has a right of audience and hearing and would be heard and granted permission to intervene and assist the prosecutor and this court within the legal parameters during the course of the hearing.


TRENDING

OPINION / BLOG / INTERVIEW

How UK’s 'best prepared' healthcare system failed to gauge COVID-19

The UK is proud of their public health system and its unlike any other country as around 90 percent of British public supports the founding principles of National Health Service. But without accurate data being available to stakeholders in ...

Poor on IHR capacity progress in 2019, WHO says Cambodia tops COVID-19 response

Despite being in proximity to Hubei, the original epicenter of COVID-19 pandemic, Cambodia has reported just 226 confirmed cases and zero deaths. After seeing the data, WHO appreciated Cambodias healthcare information system but experts dou...

Loopholes in Healthcare Information System may have failed Singapore COVID-19 model

In the initial days of the COVID-19 outbreak, Singapore was in the limelight for its effective healthcare system and pandemic response plan. However, Singapore has now joined the list of the worst-hit nations and the situation is even worse...

Australia's COVID-19 response: Digital infrastructure of help but implementation remains a challenge

Australias ongoing plans to upgrade its health information system helped by the Digital Health Strategy seem even more practical due to the pandemic. But as evident during the pandemic, administrative lapses and the complex matrix of power ...

Videos

Latest News

Heavy rain forecast for several West Bengal districts till Wednesday

A low pressure is likely to form over north Bay of Bengal, causing heavy rain in most districts of South Bengal over the next two days, the Met department here said on Monday. The districts of East and West Midnapore, South and North 24 Par...

White House, Congress talks on COVID-19 bill to resume Monday afternoon

Congressional Democrats and Trump administration officials will resume talks aimed at hammering out a coronavirus relief bill on Monday afternoon, after missing a vital deadline to extend relief benefits to tens of millions of jobless Ameri...

Man killed after fight over online game PUBG

A man was killed here allegedly by three persons after an altercation over playing popular online game PUBG, officials said on Monday. Raj Kumar, Bikram Jeet and Rohit Kumar were playing the online game, when Daleep Raj objected and asked t...

Andhra Pradesh reports 7,822 COVID-19 cases on Monday, taking tally to 1,66,586; Toll climbs to 1,537 with 63 more casualties: Govt Bulletin.

Andhra Pradesh reports 7,822 COVID-19 cases on Monday, taking tally to 1,66,586 Toll climbs to 1,537 with 63 more casualties Govt Bulletin....

Give Feedback