George Fernandes passes away after prolonged illness
Fernandes was suffering from Alzheimer's disease and recently, he contracted swine flu, they said. Prime Minister Narendra Modi condoled the demise of the socialist leader, saying he was frank and fearless, and never deviated from his ideology.
"A visionary railway minister and a great defence minister who made India safe and strong. During his long years in public life, George Sahab never deviated from his political ideology. He resisted the Emergency tooth and nail. His simplicity and humility were noteworthy," the PM said. Congress chief Rahul Gandhi expressed his condolences to Fernandes' family and friends.
"I'm sorry to hear about the passing away of former Parliamentarian & Union Minister, George Fernandes Ji," he said in a Facebook post. Fernandes was India's defence minister in the NDA government headed by Atal Bihari Vajpayee. He was the industry minister under the Jan Sangh government which had defeated Indira Gandhi in 1977.
- Very excited about all of potential we see in India: Lockheed Martin
- 8 Indians arrested in pay-and-stay visa scam plead 'not guilty' in federal court
- Indian-Americans bitterly divided over Neomi Rao's nomination for DC Court
- 13 arrested in Lahore for defying government's ban on kite flying
- Indian-Americans lead campaign against nomination of Neomi Rao