George Fernandes passes away after prolonged illness
Fernandes was suffering from Alzheimer's disease and recently, he contracted swine flu, they said. The socialist leader was India's defence minister in the NDA government headed by Atal Bihari Vajpayee and he was the industry minister under the Jan Sangh government, which defeated Indira Gandhi in 1977.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi condoled the demise, saying he was frank and fearless, and never deviated from his ideology. "A visionary railway minister and a great defence minister who made India safe and strong. During his long years in public life, George Sahab never deviated from his political ideology. He resisted the Emergency tooth and nail. His simplicity and humility were noteworthy," the PM said.
Congress chief Rahul Gandhi expressed his condolences to Fernandes' family and friends. "I'm sorry to hear about the passing away of former Parliamentarian & Union Minister, George Fernandes Ji," he said in a Facebook post.
- Indian embassy opens hotline for students detained by US authorities
- New Zealand's Guptill expected to stay out of fifth ODI against India
- REFILE-Tech lobby takes India to task over plans to police online content
- My government's budget a historic step for welfare of farmers and working class: PM Modi at Matua Mahasangh event.
- Why Indian infrastructure sector needs to focus more on revenues to boost development