Gold bars worth about Rs one crore were found abandoned in a bag near a checkpost at nearby Porayar, police said Friday. Sub-inspector Natarajan, on duty at the checkpost on the Tamil Nadu-Karaikal (Puducherry) border, Thursday night noticed the leather bag and found 27 gold bars in it. It was suspected that smugglers might have thrown the bag with the precious metal fearing checking, they said.
Nagapattinam Superintendent of Police C Vijaykumar and other senior officials inspected the spot and further investigation was on, police said. During the past week, the police have tightened vehicle-checks at the checkpost to prevent smuggling of liquor from Karaikal in view of new year celebrations.
- NFL-Glady Knight's national anthem costs betting company dearly
- REFILE-NFL-Gladys Knight's national anthem costs betting company dearly
- CBI wanted to move SC Sunday night itself over Kolkata police dispute
- Overnight strength on Wall Street, Fed outlook lift Asian stocks
- NTPC to curtail power supply to Telangana, Karnataka, Andhra from midnight for payment default