Left Menu
Development News Edition

Opting solar mini-grids can give Kenya 100 pct electrification, pitches expert

Devdiscourse News Desk | Nairobi | Updated: 14-05-2019 19:21 IST | Created: 14-05-2019 19:21 IST
Opting solar mini-grids can give Kenya 100 pct electrification, pitches expert
According to Chege of Davis & Shirtliff, there are mainly three ways of providing electricity to rural populations – grid extension, standalone solar systems and mini grids. Image Credit: Wikipedia

Kenya is likely to achieve 100 percent electrification by 2022 in line with its National Electrification Strategy if the East African country adopts the option of solar mini-grids as a source for electricity connection, according to Kenya's leading water and energy solutions company Davis & Shirtliff.

Davis & Shirtliff's Solar Division Manager Norman Chege said that solar mini-grids will play a vital role in the pursuit of universal access to modern energy especially across rural Africa, particularly where grid extension is technically or financially improbable.

According to Chege of Davis & Shirtliff, there are mainly three ways of providing electricity to rural populations – grid extension, standalone solar systems and mini-grids. The grid extension is by connecting communities to the national grid, which can be hugely expensive.

"Solar systems are the next solution to connect people without the option of connecting to the national grid since they are a stand-alone system. The third option and which we see as a solution to achieving universal access is mini-grids, which is a decentralized hybrid system of the national grid and solar that can function separately from the national grid," Norman Chege opined.

The World Bank claims that around 75 percent of the Kenyans have access to electricity from grid and off-grid sources with most of them in urban areas. The 2022 Kenya National Electrification Strategy seeks to identify and implement least-cost options for bringing electricity to the remaining 25 per cent of households and businesses in remote areas across the country, as reported by Capital Digital Media.

"Mini-grids operate optimally in areas where the population is too small or remote for grid extension and standalone solar systems aren't viable for larger electricity needs. Adoption of solar mini-grids would offer the best option to electrify remote locations," he added.

Also Read: UNICEF, Safaricom's new Internet of Good Things in Kenya to make life better, healthier


TRENDING

OPINION / BLOG / INTERVIEW

‘Discounted Deaths’ and COVID 19: Anthropology of Death and Emotions

Death is a social event rather than the mere cessation of biological functions. As seen by anthropologists, death is not just physical but intensely social, cultural, and political....

Indigenous knowledge of communities a must for maximizing impact of community work

Generally, it has been observed that the majority of the academicians in higher education institutions neglect the wisdom of community people and throw their weight around thinking that they know everything and the community knows nothing. ...

In rebuking FBR, Pakistan’s courts take a stand for public health

The system, if implemented effectively, will allow Pakistans revenue service to combat the illicit trade in tobacco products and potentially add hundreds of millions of dollars to the states budget each year. ...

Dissecting how COVID-19 is catalyzing the trajectory of New World Order

The ensuing pandemic of COVID-19 has hit the globalization in two ways firstly, shrinking the importance of globalization as an economic force by curtailing mobility through worldwide lockdowns, and secondly, rejuvenating the idea of indig...

Videos

Latest News

Researchers identify region in genome of rice for improving productivity

Rice is one of the main staple foods across the world since it has very high carbohydrate content and provides instant energy. In Southeast Asia, where it is consumed more than in the other part of the world, it accounts for more than 75 of...

Bank of Montreal profit slumps as credit losses loom

Bank of Montreal reported a drop of more than 50 in quarterly profit on Wednesday as it set aside more money to cover potential loan losses from the coronavirus pandemic.The lender said net income fell to C689 million 501.05 million, or C1 ...

Hypocrisy gone viral? Officials set bad COVID-19 examples

Do as I say, but not as I do was the message many British saw in the behavior of Prime Minister Boris Johnsons key aide, who traveled hundreds of miles with coronavirus symptoms during the countrys lockdown. While Dominic Cummings has faced...

3 injured in clash after girl gets harassed in UP's Muzaffarnagar

Three people were injured in a clash between two groups allegedly after a girl was harassed by some men in Purkazi town of the district here, police said. The incident took place on Tuesday, they said.The clash turned violent when Imran and...

Give Feedback