Left Menu
Development News Edition

Congress sought explanation from Odisha govt on BJD MLA'S scam allegations


The Congress on Sunday sought an explanation from the Odisha government on a senior BJD MLA's allegation of "irregularities" in the distribution of loans among farmers through cooperative banks.

Damodar Rout, a former agriculture minister, had on Saturday said, "While 60 percent of the loan from the banks was issued for non-agricultural purposes, the remaining 40 percent remained only on pen and paper. In the process, there is an irregularity worth Rs 800 crore."

Seeking an explanation, state Congress president Niranjan Patnaik wondered why the Biju Janata Dal government was not ordering an investigation.

"Damodar Rout is a senior BJD leader and former minister. We believe that there might be some truth in his statement. Why is the state government not ordering an investigation? The government has to answer whether the allegations brought in by Rout are true or not," Patnaik told reporters.

Patnaik dared the government to investigate into the allegations of irregularities in Ghasipura and Keshadurapal blocks in Keonjhar district.

BJP lawmaker Pradip Purohit demanded a CBI probe into the allegations made by Rout.

On Friday, Rout had also hinted an alleged Rs 100-crore sapling scam and Rs 30-crore Orissa State Cooperative Milk Producers' Federation (Omfed) scam.

Meanwhile, Cooperation Minister S N Patro said, "Let Rout give evidence of the corruption, we will certainly investigate into the matter."

BJD spokesperson Samir Ranjan Dash asked why Rout did not raise his voice against corruption when he was a minister. "There is no point in making allegation after being out of the government. As such, Cooperation Minister Patro has said the state government would probe into the matter."

(This story has not been edited by Devdiscourse staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)


TRENDING

OPINION/BLOG/INTERVIEW

What happens to your outstanding loans if the bank falls?

... ...

Time for a change! Innovations to stop the growing plastic pollution

As the planet is drowning in plastic pollution, many new innovative approaches and solutions have emerged to effectively deal with the menace....

How to avoid fake universities and fishing bait like Farmington

As education sharks are roaming around to prey, we present a guide on how to mitigate hunters and reach to a genuine universityinstitute. In this era of commercialization of education, the fake universities and economic frauds in educationa...

How India is being pushed towards commercialization of higher education

The reluctance of the present dispensation in pushing the higher education towards commercialization is not just limited to the fees hike in Jawaharlal Nehru University JNU. It seems the government is gradually implementing a plan which is ...

Videos

Latest News

Uber says received more-than 3,000 reports of sexual assault in U.S. in 2018

Ride-hailing firm Uber Technologies Inc on Thursday said it had received more than 3,000 reports of sexual assault, including rape, related to its trips in the United States in 2018, at a time when it operated roughly 1.3 billion rides.Uber...

23 kidnapped from Mexican rehab clinic

Gunmen kidnapped 23 people from a rehabilitation clinic for drug addicts in central Mexico, later freeing 13 of them, some with injuries, officials said Thursday. Witnesses said the large group of gunmen arrived at the rehab clinic in Irapu...

U.S. Uighur bill's threat to surveillance economy puts China on offensive

China reacted angrily to President Donald Trumps approval of legislation supporting Hong Kong protesters last month, but movement on another congressional bill, backing Uighur Muslims in Chinas northwest, has cut even closer to the bone and...

UPDATE 2-Soccer-Arsenal slump to first home defeat by Brighton

Arsenal lost to Brighton Hove Albion at home for the first time ever on Thursday night as goals by Adam Webster and Neal Maupay lifted the visitors to a 2-1 victory in the Premier League. Arsenal, who fired Unai Emery as manager last week ...

Give Feedback