Uttarakhand's first ever Jolly Grant airport to change from Vajpayee's name
Built by the Birla industrial group in the early 80s, the Jolly Grant airport is now used to operate several flights every day.
A senior official said that Vajpayee was instrumental in the creation of Uttarakhand and hence renaming the airport after him would be a homage to him.
The state unit of the Congress has, however, disapproved of the move, as the Harish Rawat government had earlier sent a proposal to the Union government to rename the airport after Jagadguru Shankaracharya.
(With inputs from agencies.)
- Laurus Labs receives tentative approval from USFDA for HIV drug
- AAI President says we are moving in right direction to get approval from ministry
- Chidambaram gets HC approval to submit additional documents in INX Media case
- Govt seeks parliament approval for additional expenditure of Rs 1.98 lakh cr for FY19
- Cabinet gives ex post facto approval to EWS quota