1,000 pilgrims selected for Kailash Mansarovar Yatra via Lipulekh, Nathu La
One thousand pilgrims have been selected for the Kailash Mansarovar Yatra through the Lipulekh and Nathu La passes, following a computerised draw conducted by External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar.
- Country:
- India
One thousand pilgrims were on Thursday selected for the upcoming Kailash Mansarovar Yatra to be conducted through the Lipulekh and Nathu La passes.
External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar conducted the computerised draw of lots to select the pilgrims.
The Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) said the pilgrimage will be conducted through the Lipulekh and Nathu La passes.
Earlier this month, Nepal took strong objection to India and China making preparations for the annual pilgrimage via Lipulekh Pass without consulting Kathmandu claiming the region belongs to it.
India had firmly rejected Nepal's contention as it dismissed Kathmandu's territorial claims over the region.
The pilgrimage to Mount Kailash and Mansarovar Lake in China's Tibet Autonomous Region holds religious significance to Hindus as well as Jains and Buddhists.
The Yatra was resumed last year after a gap of nearly five years as part of efforts to normalise the relations between India and China.
It was suspended initially in 2020 because of the Covid-19 pandemic and subsequently because of the military standoff between the two sides on the Line of Actual Control (LAC) in eastern Ladakh.
The 2026 edition of the Kailash Mansarovar Yatra will commence in June and conclude in August.
A total of 1,000 yatris have been selected through a fair, computer-generated, random, gender-balanced selection process, the MEA said.
The selected pilgrims will travel in 20 batches, each consisting of 50 yatris, through the Lipulekh and Nathu La passes.
''Both routes are now fully motorable, and involve very little trekking,'' the MEA said.
Google News