Sharapova wins her 1st WTA match in Russia in 13 years
Sharapova, a five-time Grand Slam winner, beat Daria Gavrilova of Australia 6-0, 6-4 to make the second round on Monday. She will next face her compatriot Daria Kasatkina. Sharapova had only met Kasatkina once when she won in straight sets in Montreal in August, reports Xinhua news agency.
Sharapova has rarely played the Russian tour events during her career, and when she has she's never got past the quarterfinals.
- Cricket-Starc takes four to put Australia on brink of victory
- Major flooding threatens several thousand homes in Australia's Queensland
- UPDATE 2-D-Day for Australian banks as bombshell inquiry report set for release
- Starc powers Australia to 366-run win in 2nd Test, 2-0 sweep of series against SL
- Australia wraps up confidence-boosting 2-0 series thrashing of Sri Lanka